Possible Dinosaur Egg, Found Abiquiu New Mexico, Split With Cross Sections.

CharlesR

One of my favorite places in New Mexico is Copper Canyon which is approximately 4 miles away from Ghost Ranch which is home to the Ceolophysis quarry that contains over 1,000 dinosaurs so this is an area where dinosaur fossils are abundant. I found this egg like "rock" on the soft Morrison formation dirt which is almost a dull purple. There is also the colorful red/orange/white bands of the J. Entrada sandstone as well as the deep red Tr. Chinle soil so basically a rainbow of color in the immediate area. I literally stumbled face first after tripping uphill on the soft soil right into the half rock. I noticed the middle part and it looked interesting. I found the other half about a foot away and matched them.

When I got home, I immediately saw an "eye" staring at me. It is probably the one thing that kept me from chunking this aside. After that, I could make out a lizard like head and just followed the anatomy. Actually, it looks more like a baby dragon :) I began to make out features like forelimbs and backlimbs and the embryonic shape was set in my head. The "shell" is also layered and there is an apparent mammillae on the bottom of the egg.

I did a bit of research and now i am presenting this for your eyes to help me come to a conclusion regarding this possible egg.

post-17323-0-16872700-1421013908_thumb.jpg  post-17323-0-24926300-1421013912_thumb.jpg  post-17323-0-74951600-1421014277_thumb.jpg   post-17323-0-15895400-1421014296_thumb.jpg

You have it right with "egg like 'rock'", I'm afraid. It is a product of geology, not biology; something on the order of a concretion or geode.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you, it just goes to show how something can really "look" like something else, but is just one of those coincedences.

Ma Nature does amazing work! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are by no means the only one. Just put "egg" into our search machine and you'll see what I mean. Pareidolia is a phenomenon to which we can all fall prey.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have to agree with suspend and ludwigia... It is not an egg.

Check your spellcheck... :P

I vote we suspend Auspex then.......

for SpellChecker incompatibility.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".