Santa Fe

PrehistoricFlorida

Yep, Nate... The Santa Fe is so low half of the time, there's not much need to dive... I imagine some of the deeper holes around where we snorkel is still loaded, though.... Just diving down there on a breath turns up some good stuff sometimes...

Well, maybe I can dive and ya'll can snorkel, I have a boat and will travel to anywhere with water and fossils. Can ya'll go during the week? I hate weekend boat traffic and FWC...

Well outside Lake City at I-75 and SR-47 theres a Motel 8, or you can try the old motels in High Springs, but I wouldn't recommend those. The Best stretch of river is probably between Hollingsworth Bluff and Sandy Point you can put in at either of these points and head towards the other, we hunt mostly closer to Hollingsworth Bluff there are shallows and also deep holes with rocks to hang onto (you need those when snorkeling the current is rather strong). There is much gravel on the bottom and lots of fossil material. pieces of mammoth and mastodon teeth are very common.

man... I was just thinking about it, if you haven't even found a whole tapir tooth yet, I don't know why I want to leave where I'm diving to come down there... I find several tapir teeth every time I go, we don't even pick stuff up if it's not whole.

We really haven't done a lot this year, and when we did go we didn't go for long and we only waded around and found a few things I found a couple deer mandibles, lots of armadillo scutes, and the common gator teeth and things.

We don't find nearly as much as some of you guys... Perhaps it's just because we don't dive, or maybe the Santa Fe is just looked over quite a bit..

It might be worth it for you to plan a trip to the Steinhatchee or perhaps the Suwannee... Or perhaps a location in the middle of all of them... Hunt a different one every day.

We planned a trip there once and I'm not even sure if we actually made it to the right place.... We found some little river/creek back somewhere that wasn't even flowing... It had a few shark's teeth and some holes where people had been digging out the gravel on the dried up areas..... It may not have been the New River, but that's where we had originally planned to hunt that day..

I had actually never heard of anyone hunting it... I found it on a topo map, compared it to a geo map and saw it went through the same formation as some of the Gainesville creeks.... so we checked it out.... Do you know what kinds of things these divers were hunting? I went there for shark's teeth, but now I wonder what else is in there.... Maybe I should've jumped in the old stagnant water!

Yeah, if it's stagnant I bet there's some of those huge snapping turtles that will try to take your arm off, I had a bad run-in with one of those in the Suwannee earlier this year.

There's a couple fairly good ones in the Santa Fe, still.... I remember when I first started hunting, I went back in this creek off the Santa Fe and it was a bit muddy... I was barefoot.... Stood of this huuuge "rock" and, well......... the rock moved..... and I.... I walked on water.... Ahhh, good times