Vertebrae Jaw Kem Kem

Fitch1979

Hey all,

Recently I got hold of this little jaw (aprox 12cm) but I can't figure out what species. Would any of you have a clue? From the Tegana Formation in Kem Kem.

Thanks,

Dries

post-10068-0-29009000-1423523081_thumb.jpg

post-10068-0-10775300-1423523083_thumb.jpg

post-10068-0-09641700-1423523085_thumb.jpg

I was thinking same thing. Maybe Kris Super (KansasFossilHunter) will chime in, he seems to did up a lot of those fish.

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Cladocyclus is another possibility. There is a paper on a braincase of a Cladocyclus found in the Kem Kem beds called "A new species of Cladocyclus (Teleostei: Ichthyodectiformes) from the Cenomanian of Morocco" in Palaeontologia Electronica.

In the paper they illustrate an unassociated jaw that "might" also be from Cladocyclus. Here is a picture of that jaw:

post-2301-0-39695100-1423573985_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Cladocyclus is another possibility. There is a paper on a braincase of a Cladocyclus found in the Kem Kem beds called "A new species of Cladocyclus (Teleostei: Ichthyodectiformes) from the Cenomanian of Morocco" in Palaeontologia Electronica.

In the paper they illustrate an unassociated jaw that "might" also be from Cladocyclus. Here is a picture of that jaw:

attachicon.gifmoroccojaw.JPG

Looks pretty good to me

I don't know what it is, but I would say its most likely not X-fish. If it were X-fish, it would be a lower jaw, and X-fish have rather small teeth towards the middle of the lower jaw. Your jaw looks to have some of the largest teeth right in the middle. Besides almost all X-fish jaws that I have found, or seen are much bigger than what you have there. (Sure there have been a few smaller x-fish jaws found, but those are extremely rare)

Ramo

• I found this Informative 3

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks Al Dente :) And everyone!

Seems to be it Cladocyclus pankowskii.. I found the article online. Quite interesting.

Thanks a bunch,

Dries