Tegana Formation Or Kem Kem Beds?

sander

Dear Forummembers,

I can't really find any information on the Tegana Formation in Morocco. However I do find lots of information about the Kem Kem Beds (also called Kem Kem Formation). the Kem Kem Beds consist of three Formations; The Akrabou Formation, the Aoufous Formation and the Ifezouane Formation. Has the Tegana Formation been renamed into the Kem Kem Beds? or is there really a difference between both formations? In other words, is Tegana Formation the name used by fossil sellers and Kem Kem Beds along with the three accompanying names the designation which the scientists use?

Thanks for your answers,

Sander

This is my understanding of your question but I would gladly step aside to others that are more informed. The Ifezouane, Akrabou and Aoufous formation are used to classify the cretaceous sediments in the Kem Kem region. Because its been difficult to distinguish between different sets of taxa in the Ifezouane and Aoufous formation, Kem Kem Beds is used informally to described the vertebra assemblage in that region. I've seen Tegana only used by commercial dealers but all of the technical papers I've read use Kem Kem Beds as the geological unit. Not sure how Tegana surfaced hopefully some other member may shed some more light on this.

The Tegana Formation is referenced by quite a few peer-reviewed papers including The Dinosauria, The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs, and also has an entry at the Paleobiology Database:

IMG1.jpg

Here is one example found at Google Scholar:

The stratigraphic level of these specimens is Albian or Cenomanian. This is the general age of strata out cropping in this area, the age of the Tegana Formtion in the region of Ksar es Souk, where isolated teeth of Spinosauridae have been found, and the biosratigraphic level Carcharodontosaurus.

Niedźwiedzki, G., & Gierliński, G. (2002)

Isolated theropod teeth from the Cretaceous strata of Khouribga, Morocco.

Geological Quarterly, 46(1):97-100

Weishampel, D.B., Dodson, P., & Osmólska, H. (2004)
The Dinosauria. (2nd edition)
University of California Press, 861 pp.

Paul, G.S. (2010)
The Princeton field guide to dinosaurs.
Princeton University Press, 320 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Interesting, most of the technical papers I'm referring to are recent withing the last 5 years. Even the new Spinosaurus paper talks about the Kem Kem Beds and none of these papers even mention the Tegana Fm. I wonder if there a new understanding of the region with research and discoveries that have changed how paleontologist look at the region. Kem Kem Beds maybe the new way to describe it.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that a comprehensive stratigraphic study has never been done there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Forgot this but an excellent paper that goes into more detail on the Kem Kem Beds and the three formation is shown below. Great illustrations. I read a hard copy at the Tucson show and trying to get a PDF. No mention of the Tegana Fm.

Cavin L., et al. 2010. Vertebrate assemblages from the early Late Cretaceous of southeastern Morocco: An overview. Journal of African Earth Sciences 57, 391-412.

Edited by Troodon

I'll bet dollars to donuts that a comprehensive stratigraphic study has never been done there.

Missed your post but the paper I mentioned is the closest I've seen to a study on the region.

thanks for pointing it out, seems like a nice paper to read :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

On 2/16/2015 at 3:45 PM, Auspex said:

Here's a recent comprehensive study that's readily available:

Michard, A., Saddiqi, O., Chalouan, A., & de Lamotte, D.F. (Eds.)(2008)

Continental evolution: The geology of Morocco: Structure, stratigraphy, and tectonics of the Africa-Atlantic-Mediterranean triple junction.

Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences, Springer Scientific Publishing, 424 pp.

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Here's a recent comprehensive study that's readily available:

Michard, A., Saddiqi, O., Chalouan, A., & de Lamotte, D.F. (Eds.)(2008)

Continental evolution: The geology of Morocco: Structure, stratigraphy, and tectonics of the Africa-Atlantic-Mediterranean triple junction.

Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences, Springer Scientific Publishing, 424 pp.

Thanks!

How do you want your donuts?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is also one I read, but it does not seem to mention the tegana Fm. the fossilworks database entry only said Tegana? formation while it has only one entry. the aoufous formation entries in that database alone topple that number already. also the description of time and place is exactly the same. I think I can rewrite every Tegana Fm. as Kem Kem Beds now, seems to be the best term. it is however very strange that no one even mentions the change in their texts.

If you do a search on fossilworks database for Spinosaurus the specimens finds are reported against Kem Kem Beds and both the Ifezouane and Aoufous formation. Appears to be the current convention.

Edited by Troodon