Donating My Lower Jurassic Dinosaur To A Museum

• 2 months later...

Dear all

It's dinosaur unveiling day today. It's going on display at Cardiff Museum in South Wales.

The second dinosaur to be found in Wales. Probably the oldest Jurassic theropod in the world as it was found right on the T-J boundary. At about 40% complete, one of the most complete Hettangian dinosaurs in the World.

Fingers crossed we make the media.

Nick

:goodjob:

Thanks for keeping us updated.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Dear all

It's dinosaur unveiling day today. It's going on display at Cardiff Museum in South Wales.

The second dinosaur to be found in Wales. Probably the oldest Jurassic theropod in the world as it was found right on the T-J boundary. At about 40% complete, one of the most complete Hettangian dinosaurs in the World.

Fingers crossed we make the media.

Nick

Going by the above description, you would think that the media could very well be interested. I assume the museum has already invited them, which I believe is normal procedure, isn't it? Anyway, like I've already mentioned elsewhere: Break a leg!(or two ;) )

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Awesome, Nick!!

Congratulations, and well done! :):goodjob:

Looking forward to any pictures of the event you can post.

And thank you, for keeping us up to date with the news as it progressed.

What an amazing journey this must have been for you.

Now, go do it again! ;)

Cheers!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

And here is the story on BBC.

:yay-smiley-1:LINK :yay-smiley-1:

Congratulations Nick and Rob!!!

Well done indeed!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's a mighty pretty feather in your cap, for sure...

I too like your thinking on the topic.

Soooo cool!

The video is great too, awesome to be able to put a face and voice to the people behind this incredible journey we have all been following.

This is truly one of the best parts of this forum.

Well done again and I would love to see some more close up photos, if and when you get them.

Congratulations on this. I read the BBC article on it yesterday and was like "I think I've seen this picture before..." And then I remembered your post on the Jurassic find.

I liked the artist's representation as well.

How excellent is this!! Congratulations!

I assume a publication is in the works as well? Any idea of how long before we can look for that?

Don

Hi Don

The paper is complete and ready for peer review.

We did try to do the exhibition and paper simultaneously but unfortunately that didn't quite work out.

I would say about 3 months to 12 months depending how long the peer review takes

Nick

• 2 months later...

Hi Nick, this is some great stuff. Congratulations! Maybe your dinosaur was eating some of the fish we find in the Connecticut River Valley, Redfieldius, Semionotus, ptycholepis? Back in the day, my rugby club had a coach from the Glamorgan Wanderers. His brothers got me tickets to see Wales play Scotland. I even visited the Natural History Museum.

Almost certainly the wrong topic for this but I'm new, what the heck. Saw this dinosaur featured on that "Dinosaur Britain" program the other day - congrats :D pretty amazing to see something on TV then sign on to this forum and find its finder. Huge congratulations to you.

How wonderful, Nick! Thanks for taking us along on the ride. :)

Thanks Old Bones. I must admit, it's been a fantastic ride for us. An unforgettable 18 months and it makes me realise how much I love fossil hunting and palaeontology.

Nick

Hi Nick, this is some great stuff. Congratulations! Maybe your dinosaur was eating some of the fish we find in the Connecticut River Valley, Redfieldius, Semionotus, ptycholepis? Back in the day, my rugby club had a coach from the Glamorgan Wanderers. His brothers got me tickets to see Wales play Scotland. I even visited the Natural History Museum.

Thanks Paul

Small world, especially with Lavernock being in Glamorgan. I've never been to Massachusetts myself, but I did live in Washington State for a while.

The Rugby world cup starts soon and I'll be watching.

Nick

Almost certainly the wrong topic for this but I'm new, what the heck. Saw this dinosaur featured on that "Dinosaur Britain" program the other day - congrats :D pretty amazing to see something on TV then sign on to this forum and find its finder. Huge congratulations to you.

Thanks Bahariasaurus.

I'm glad you liked it. When the dinosaur peeps over the balcony, you can also see me leaning against one of the museum pillars talking to someone.

Nick

It was the best bit of the bank holiday 2 part program (Dinosaur Britain) seeing your find and it being brought to life with the aid of CGI.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Hi Saw you both on Dinosaur Britain, and your find, very impressive, seeing the museum again brought back lots of memory's as I lived in Cardiff for 19 years.

Again congratulations on your fantastic discovery.

Regards

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well done indeed Nick. That was most noble of you.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thanks Guys

Just a quick update.

The paper has been peer reviewed and we've 45 days to respond to comments. It's getting there slowly.

The museum has raised the money for a 3D model and they are on with that.

The foot that was found a couple of months ago has been prepped and is being coded into the cladistic analysis. This will probably make it the best cladistically coded Hettangian theropod in the World.

Regards

Nick

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...

Dear all

Just a quick update.

The dinosaur is back on display at Cardiff Museum if anyone is visiting the UK

We made the top stories of BBC Wales for 2015 and its part of the BBC Christmas Cracker series. See link to the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35141358

And finally, we've got a publication date for the paper. It'll come out in mid January and I'll post a link. Apologies for the slight delay since my last posting but the paper was modified when the foot was found, which meant it had to be peer reviewed again.

We are really looking forward to seeing the final published paper.

Happy Christmas everyone

Nick

Initially the dinosaur will be on loan, with plans to complete the donation and transfer of title later in the year along with the publication of a paper.

Question, why not loan it without donating? What is the difference between fossils that are on indefinite loan vice given away completely?

Question, why not loan it without donating? What is the difference between fossils that are on indefinite loan vice given away completely?

Any researcher investing the time and effort to write and publish a paper needs assurance that curation of the specimen is not revocable. The basis of science is that results must be reproducible; the subject of a specimen-based descriptive study must be available for study.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!