Misidentified By The Misinformed

Sometimes, with no fraudulent intent at all, things turn up for sale that just aren't what they are said to be. These can range from a rare trilobite mis-identified as something common (paydirt for the knowledgeable collector!), to suggestively shaped rocks that the scientifically-naive finder believes is a great fossil. The latter is what inspired this post.

This object was presented for sale (at a three-digit price) as a fossil bird head:

post-423-0-30930000-1425417120_thumb.jpg

I honestly don't think that the seller believes it to be anything else, and it is presented here only as an extreme example of incorrect identification without intent to defraud.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For the novice enthusiast, I say to look for either structure or symmetry. If there are neither, then it's probably a rock with a suggestive shape. The 'bird head' above does not have symmetry (bilateral) or structure (details of bone or feathers). Of course there are fossils that seem to have neither.... :)

Context is critical.

This could apply to native American "obscure" artifacts.

Effigys and totems comes to mind.

I am surprised the seller of the "bird head" did not attempt to sell it as an artifact.

Jess B.

Darn Chas, I dont know...I sure like it alot! Its alot better than the one I found!

post-1240-0-60345200-1425669532_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

I often have folks contact me to help identify a fossil their father left them, or something they bought at a flea market. It always breaks my heart to have to inform them that all they have is a suggestive shaped rock. I do believe that, for the most part, these are honest people who believe that they have something authentic and are not intending to scam anyone.

On the flip side, I did have an elderly woman contact me a few years ago with a dog skull her father had found in California in the early 1900's. She was going to throw it out, as she was moving into a care center, and decided just to check and see if it might be something I was interested in just for my collection because it was very dark in color. Upon having the skull in hand, I discovered what she has was a Dire Wolf skull. Needless to say, she was very surprised when I called and told her what it was and that I would be sending her a very large check for the skull. It had her in tears.

Funny what is in peoples attics.

• I found this Informative 1

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

The Attic Formation can be very productive, but access is generally pretty restricted...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

other cases of misidentity involve multiple items for sale that seem duplicated...

Giving the benefit of the doubt, one can call it a mistake, (and uploading multiple images and listings, it may be)but both fossil fish and trilobite auctions are chock full of dealers listing duplicates, It is a good idea to see what else the seller you are interested in has in stock.

post-4577-0-39021500-1426375876_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

other cases of misidentity involve multiple items for sale that seem duplicated...

Giving the benefit of the doubt, one can call it a mistake, (and uploading multiple images and listings, it may be)but both fossil fish and trilobite auctions are chock full of dealers listing duplicates, It is a good idea to see what else the seller you are interested in has in stock.

Do you suppose maybe the seller just didn't want to take a pic of each specimen they had for sale, and opted instead to take just one representative pic (without mentioning that "the item may not be exactly as pictured", like they should)?

Do you suppose maybe the seller just didn't want to take a pic of each specimen they had for sale, and opted instead to take just one representative pic (without mentioning that "the item may not be exactly as pictured", like they should)?

There's no telling. This is another good example of caveat emptor, and why communication is critical.

Yes, if there is ever any question in an ebay listing, I ask it. I just hate to pass over something that might actually be a good buy if it turns out such a thing is simply seller being lazy or sloppy in the listing.

Edited by Wrangellian