Glen Rose, Texas Fossils

Govinn

Hey All,

I will be in this area (working and playing) for the next 6 to 10 weeks. I would like to get off the "beaten path" and hunt for fossils that had a spine at some point in its life. ;) I have a diving rig that will allow two divers to explore the bottom of a river or lake (you must be diving certified to do this with me). I also have all the gear necessary for shallow river hunting. I'd be willing to trade some museum quality sharks teeth for some good hunting spots. I don't post where I find fossils in order to protect the location, so your spot is safe with me. I'm available Friday thru Sunday, so please PM me if you are interested.

I've hunted POC and NSR years ago. Soooo, I'm looking for something new. Again, please hit me up if you are interested.

Thank you,

John

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Good luck John! :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hey John, long time. I don't know anything about hunting there but good luck.

Edited by RickNC

There are several areas that are open to collecting near Glen Rose but not much in the Glen Rose area proper.

(Specific location information confidential)

Chalk mountain Hwy 67 "West of Glen Rose" area is pretty good echinoids and ammonites.

Ask just about anyone which way, police officer is your best bet.

Hwy 67 towards Cleburne East of Brazos river crossing ~6-8 miles watch for crushed rock roads on the right.

Areas "ditch" open grades along some of these roads yield some echinoids and ammonite material.

Closer to Cleburne is an area that yield some of the larger irregular echinoids.

(Watch for exposures before you get to town "south side" of high-way)

Most areas along this stretch of 67 is devoid of much of anything.

Hope you find this somewhat helpful.

Let us know if you find anything.

Jess B.

• I found this Informative 1

Years and years and years ago (probably close to 30 years ago), we collected along a roadcut heading to the dinosaur print park from Fort Worth (I was young then, so my memory is vague on which hwy this road cut was on--but I remember it being relatively near the park itself), and we found a few ammonites, echinoids, and even a section of a Turrilites ammonite.

• I found this Informative 1

Good luck John! :)

Thank you Jeff!! Hopefully, you got your package of goodies! If not, let me know.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Hey John, long time. I don't know anything about hunting there but good luck.

Hey Rick!! thank you! Man, I still think about the Great White you showed us (the one you found in NC with the thick root). absolutely amazing!!

~Sir Winston Churchill

Jess - Thank you so much. I really appreciate the info. I will surely check it out! If you are up for a hunt please let me know.

Prem - Thank you for accessing those old memory banks. ;)

I'll let you know if anything turns up. I'd love to find a cool (large) ammonite.

~Sir Winston Churchill