Now That's A Hemi!

prem

We have a couple members who worked on the excavation (for the CMM).

The last I heard, it is not going to be donated to the museum for curation, and may be sold commercially.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The last I heard, it is not going to be donated to the museum for curation, and may be sold commercially.

I hope it gets donated to the museum

It is the landowners' property, and they are entitled to do what they want with it.

This is an important find, and scientific study may still be made of it, but I do wish it would wind up in a museum, ideally the Calvert Marine Museum.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here is a pic of some of the snaggle tooth shark disks on my dining room table, before knowing the whole thing was there. I was cleaning them for sale or donation, whichever the Gibson family wanted to do.

post-2408-0-33140700-1425646430_thumb.jpeg

I hope the owners aren't thinking they're sitting on a gold mine. Assuming it went to an auction house, the average bidder of flashy fossils will see "shark skeleton" and look to see if it belongs to megalodon. When he sees "Hemipristis," he's going to say, "It's a what?" I think the owner should look into whether donating it would bring a tax write-off. Or maybe one of those rich east coast shark collectors will buy it and then donate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what Calvert zone this was from? 10? Looks sandy enough to be 10, but I wonder if anyone can confirm definitively.

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---