Using A Printer Scanner To Image Shark Teeth

Carson

I came across an article today on using a printer scanner to image shark teeth. It worked well for the labial side (relatively flat). However, the lingual side was less than satisfactory. Have any of you used this method of imaging teeth, and do any of you have tips on getting good images for the lingual side?

Thanks,

Carson

post-12707-0-69089600-1425601562_thumb.jpg

post-12707-0-70525200-1425601587_thumb.jpg

I use a flatbed scanner all the time for fossils if the are relatively flat.

I think there may have been an error on your second one unrelated to the dimensionality of the tooth. Maybe something moved while the scanner was processing. I'd say try again.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I tried again and got the same result. Is there any particular setting I should use? I am scanning using a color photo mode.

Plus, how do you image side views?

Older scanners work better; they seem to have a greater depth-of-focus than those made in the last 10 years.

Even the old ones, though, are really designed for 2-D imaging, and side views of shark teeth will not be satisfactory.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I use my scanner for shark teeth and find I get better result by placing the teeth horizontally rather than vertically. The scanner light strikes the teeth at a better angle. Side views would be difficult. You would have to use something (modeling clay or your fingers) to hold the tooth and cover with a white cloth to help reflect the light.

I scanned a very 3D mammal Skeleton about 20 years ago and it came out great. Maybe auspex is right, that new ones are not as good at this.

Edited by jpc

Here are photos taken by my iPhone with an Olloclip 15X lens of a cf. Ginglymostoma/Delpitoscyllium africanum tooth (~3-4mm across the face). The problem with it is getting good lighting.

post-12707-0-10719000-1425652871_thumb.jpg

post-12707-0-10155700-1425652915_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carson

Jim Bourdon at elasmo.com uses an old flatbed scanner for all his images, including side views. His images are excellent.

Older scanners work better; they seem to have a greater depth-of-focus than those made in the last 10 years.

I am in total agreement with the comments by Auspex re older scanners. Ten plus years ago I had a scanner which took great scans of shark teeth, both the lingual and labial sides. I long ago gave up using a scanner in favor of digital cameras.

I really miss my old flat-bed scanner. Here's a thread that you might find useful:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/23942-imaging-with-flat-bed-scanner/?hl=%2Bscanner+%2Bimage

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest