Texas Fossil Crabs Journey To Spain

bone2stone

Have been in contact with MB to have some Texas woodbine crabbies cleaned and identified.

He just recently received the package BUT, the local postal service there decided to charge him an extra 36+ Euros!

OUTRAGEOUS!

Really do not know just what they have up their sleeves but postage was paid in full upfront.

Alex is too good of a man for them to take advantage of him like this.

The declared value was less than $0.99. Less than a dollar.

I declared 0 dollar value but USPS placed the .99 cent value on package.

Baffled as to just what the Spanish local postal service have in mind.

I have filed a complaint with the USPS and am awaiting a response.

Any ideas?

This was an outrage and I wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem of this nature.

Jess B.

They probably assessed the value at greater than stated, and applied an import duty.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They probably assessed the value at greater than stated, and applied an import duty.

That makes a great deal of sense. If this be the case it is something they just began.

MB has been sending and receiving overseas specimens for some time now.

I am awaiting for a response to my questions from the USPS tracking.

Jess B.

This might be informative: LINK

The VAT (Value Added Tax) might be the culprit in this case, if they determined that the value was under-claimed:

"VAT Rates

The standard VAT rate for importing items into Spain is 21%, with certain products, attracting VAT at the a reduced VAT rate of 10% or a super reduced rate of 4%. VAT is calculated on the value of the goods, plus the international shipping costs and insurance, plus any import duty due."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Broke countries will do anything for extra revenue...Good luck

I think this is the source of the scam.

This might be informative: LINK

The VAT (Value Added Tax) might be the culprit in this case, if they determined that the value was under-claimed:

"VAT Rates

The standard VAT rate for importing items into Spain is 21%, with certain products, attracting VAT at the a reduced VAT rate of 10% or a super reduced rate of 4%. VAT is calculated on the value of the goods, plus the international shipping costs and insurance, plus any import duty due."

Thanks for the link.

This would or could apply if there is some measure as to it's value to start with.

I'll look closer at the VAT measures. Check on the applicable nature of an import of this type.

Basically they were rocks for examination. Sent as a gifted parcel.

• 2 months later...

Crab is home in Texas.

Will post finished specimen when I pick it up.

Post Office attempted delivery and denied drop off.

Have to go and get it.

Jess B.