Help.... It´s A Crinoid? Texas Fossil

lcordova

Hi,

I found this in Tarrant County.... the size is aprox 4 to 5 inch in diameter... Found it around White Settlement in For Worth...

I have narrowed it to either Goodland Formation or Fort Worth Limestone.

I thought it is a crinoid but a good friend that knows thousand times more than I do, recommend to post it here....

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

post-15821-0-31628100-1426399652_thumb.jpg

post-15821-0-09987800-1426399675_thumb.jpg

post-15821-0-80564200-1426399690_thumb.jpg

White Settlement would make it Goodland.

It is not crinoid material. The crinoids that occurred at that time frame were free floating and very tiny.

~3 MM in diameter.

The specimen, you have here, appears to be part of a bi-valve of some type.

Jess B.

For me looks like a big Parasmilia...but is just a guess.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Being from that formation it is probably something along the lines of an oyster. I see borings (sponge?) as well. At first I wanted to say it was one of the weirder Inoceramids but not sure. Oysters have a habit of getting all twisted up and defying their type descriptions. This may be one you keep and then one day find a "complete" version and bingo you have an ID.

Icordova,can you please take a picture from the upper side of the specimen,and one from the back side?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

...You forgot the pictures... :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

It really looks most like fractured chert to me:

post-423-0-09282000-1426972804_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like a weathered piece of some type of large pelecypod.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I agree with Herb. It looks like a worn chunk of oyster or inoceramid type shell. The small circular holes are typical of borings found in such shells, and would not be present in a chunk of chert.

Don

I have the boring holes of one bi-valve fossil under glass cabinet, I will take a picture tomorrow and list this as a new topic of what the tiny bore holes I think should look like. Take a look and give your opinion.

Thanks,

Rodney