meguskus

Meguskus' Paleoart

meguskus

Hello, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the world of paleontology, so please don't hesitate to comment on any potential anatomical mistakes or the like.

I'd love meeting other aspiring and professional paleoartists to exchange knowledge and ideas.

I could also do commissions, if anyone is interested.

post-17914-0-01547300-1427214950_thumb.jpg

post-17914-0-31524800-1427216050_thumb.jpg

fossilized6s

Welcome!

Beautiful work! Top notch.

I also am "trying" to do paleo reconstructions.

Fossildude19

Wonderful artwork! :wub:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Regards,

Auspex

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for bringing your portfolio for us to enjoy!

From your examples, you can breath life into perspectives ranging from startling to evocative. :wub:

bone digger

Very nice work!

sseth

Great work. What fantastic pieces.

LordTrilobite

I love the lighting on those paintings. They have a great sense of depth.

The perspective of the Para though, makes it look a little like the crest is bend sideways a bit. Otherwise it's really nice.

finderskeepers

Very impressive work, what medium are you working in? Do you have a favorite for your illustrations?

meguskus

Thanks everyone! I'm doing everything digitally and I don't really have many finished dinosaur illustrations, so my favorite one so far is probably the latest one I did, a T. Rex. Do you think I should make a feathered version?

post-17914-0-80509100-1428009613_thumb.jpg

Auspex

...Do you think I should make a feathered version?

Yes, please, if only for the sake of accuracy! ;)

"Non-plumeaceous integuments" would be best; somewhat downy filoplumes, densely packed except for the face area. As there would be little prismatic structure, reds and yellows would be better colors than blues or greens.

meguskus

Here's something a bit extravagant to make a dromaeosaurid look scarier. I think it's much more frightening than Jurassic World's ridiculous raptor lizards.

post-17914-0-71249200-1428885822_thumb.png

Koss1959

Just a bit of constructive feedback regarding your rex and possibly raptor, dinosaurs- or theropods at least, could not hold their hands/ claws like that. They would be with the palms facing inwards as if holding a ball. That is, if you're going for accuracy. Love your art!

abyssunder

Great works!Thanks for sharing.

fossilized6s

Quite creepy, yet delightful.

It's still strange to see dinos depicted as they really were, adorning feathers. My brain still needs rewiring in this case. Haha!

meguskus

Just a bit of constructive feedback regarding your rex and possibly raptor, dinosaurs- or theropods at least, could not hold their hands/ claws like that. They would be with the palms facing inwards as if holding a ball. That is, if you're going for accuracy. Love your art!

I know, is it really not visible? I tried hard making it look like they're positioned inwards, but apparently I failed. Do you have suggestions on how to make it move obvious?

Auspex

I think our mental-processor sees the hands drooping from the wrist and interprets that as palms-down, because at palms-in, our hands just can't droop that much (try it!). The illusion would be dispelled if the hands did not droop at the wrist.

Now, whether that would be more anatomically correct, I cannot say.

Farfel 53

Outstanding Artwork. I think a feathered T Rex would be great.

Koss1959

I know, is it really not visible? I tried hard making it look like they're positioned inwards, but apparently I failed. Do you have suggestions on how to make it move obvious?

Taking a closer look, I can see they are being held correctly. You are a much better artist than I am, so take my advice with a pinch of salt, but

aplomado

Really neat.

How about some underwater creatures?

amour 25

Quite creepy, yet delightful.

It's still strange to see dinos depicted as they really were, adorning feathers. My brain still needs rewiring in this case. Haha!

I still will never believe it ,Dino with feathers.