Show Us Your Phosphate Fossils!

Harry Pristis

Did you get those from the KFC in Aurora?? :P

Those came from the North Sulphur River in Fannin County Texas.

Here are some teeth from a classic local; Bartow, Florida...

post-1313-1236808324_thumb.jpg

...and some more from South Florida.

post-1313-1236808286_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Wha Happen??

Bone Valley

got some pics...from a few mine trips. Big teefs from Peace River

Hi, Tom . . .

Cool dermal denticles and shark and fish teeth!

Those readers who are not familiar with Bone Valley should understand that many of the land mammal fossils found in the Peace River are NOT from the phosphate, but are from Pleistocene sediments overlying the most recent Mio-Pliocene phosphate. This is certainly true of the mammal material -- Equus sp. horse, mammoth, tapir -- in Tom's second image.

Like most rivers, the Peace produces fossils of mixed age from the various deposits through which the river cuts.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hi, Tom . . .

Cool dermal denticles and shark and fish teeth!

Those readers who are not familiar with Bone Valley should understand that many of the land mammal fossils found in the Peace River are NOT from the phosphate, but are from Pleistocene sediments overlying the most recent Mio-Pliocene phosphate. This is certainly true of the mammal material -- Equus sp. horse, mammoth, tapir -- in Tom's second image.

Like most rivers, the Peace produces fossils of mixed age from the various deposits through which the river cuts.

Harry,

I have never collected the mines in BV but i have seen several pictures of smaller horse teeth from the mines i believe they were three toed horse and i have seen a bunch of gomp material. Do most of the mines have Pleistocene gravel beds in them or are these fossils coming out of the Miocene sediments?

Harry,

I have never collected the mines in BV but i have seen several pictures of smaller horse teeth from the mines i believe they were three toed horse and i have seen a bunch of gomp material. Do most of the mines have Pleistocene gravel beds in them or are these fossils coming out of the Miocene sediments?

The latest phosphate, I believe is about 4.5 Ma. That's what you find in the northern reaches of the Bone Valley. There are pockets of earlier Miocene fossils in the phosphate, the earlier the rarer. No Pleistocene gravel beds in phosphate mines of which I am aware.

The Miocene and Pliocene of Florida have many species of three-toed horses, most of which resemble small-to-dwarf equid teeth at first glance. I get frustrated trying to sort them out, and consequently I am not good with them. This pair of Calippus teeth is an example of true Miocene teeth from the mines.

post-42-1236825064_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Fertilizer remains one of the most significant uses of naturally-occurring phosphates. In South Florida, the phosphate is converted to phosphoric acid and is shipped by tank rail-cars to chemical processors.

Are there any black fossils in the Northern France phosphates as from the Ozan Fm exposed on the North Sulphur River in North Texas?

No, all the fossils have the same colour (teeth, very few ammonite fragments, sea urchins, belemnite rostra, ...) It's maybe because of the light colored sediments. In the Albian "Gault Clay" of northwestern France and southeastern UK the fossils are black phosphatic casts in a dark sediment rich in the mineral glauconite. (Picture below)

post-1381-1236841282_thumb.jpg

These are my BV beauties B)

Greetings from Norway,

Martijn

Here are my teeth from Bone vally :wub: found them self ten years ago

the other tooth is from the Lee creek mine and is from a trade.

Greetings from Holland

Cor

post-150-1236856267_thumb.jpg

post-150-1236856620_thumb.jpg

Here are some of my shells and other things

post-1082-1236868466_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here are some of my shells and other things

post-1082-1236868466_thumb.jpg

Are these some of the black phosphatic steinkerns from the Ozan Fm on the North Sulphur River that Dan mentioned?

What seest thou else

Are these some of the black phosphatic steinkerns from the Ozan Fm on the North Sulphur River that Dan mentioned?

Yes they are

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Good thread - we should do this with other forms of preservation too. For instance pyritized fossils take on widely different appearance, speaking of Texas fossils alone. I'm sure there is even wider variation world wide. I for one enjoy collecting the same species in various modes of preservation - very interesting!

You've misconstrued the subject and purpose of this thread, Dan. This thread is NOT about any particular form of preservation. It is about fossils recovered from phosphate, however they may be preserved. :P

What seest thou else

These are my BV beauties B)

Greetings from Norway,

Martijn

Please Martijn show us a close up of that golden beauty in the back. :o

I agree, i tried jumping through my monitor to grab it but it didn't work out to well so i bought a plane ticket....see you a in about 24 hours

Enjoy, :P

Regards,

Martijn

post-570-1236896612_thumb.jpg

post-570-1236896627_thumb.jpg

post-570-1236896641_thumb.jpg

post-570-1236896662_thumb.jpg

Qua patet orbis

WOW! I want it!

Alfred North Whithead

Regards,

Martijn

post-423-1236898052_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Regards,

Martijn

I have a question. What makes these teeth vary in color from slate blue, red and blond?

Alfred North Whithead

Yes, PLEASE with size. Beautiful tooth!

Pardon the request. I see it's already been posted. I had not yet read to the end of the thread - my mistake.