Scute?

TyrannosaurusRex

Looks more like a piece of skull. I am not seeing much croc texture, though. Frontal or parietal bone of a croc is my semi-educated guess. I am only guessing croc because you suggested it.

Correction: the upper right photo does indeed show croc texture. The hourglasss shape and bilateral symmetry suggest top of skull.

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 1

I agree with JP, it looks like a skull element. But Croc, ......maybe. I'm not familiar enough with Croc material to say "yay" or "nay".

So no, this would not be considered a scute.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I also don't see the normal texturing associated with croc skull members. Granted, there is a lot of variation when comparing different bones from the same beast. It does look like a frontal bone to me as well.

The pic in the lw. rt. is the key - it's part of the neurocranium (the top of the skull) of a huge bony fish. This view is ventral (the view above dorsal, both with anterior at right), and the two concave areas in the center, at top and bottom, are for the tops of the eyes. The distinctive hourglass shape in the center is characteristic of the underside of bony fish neurocrania. It looks like the back of the big bone wasn't fully fused to the part of the neurocranium behind it. The top of the skull's better fused to the rest of the skull in crocodilians. From the color, I'm guessing it's from Kem Kem (e. Cenomanian), in eastern Morocco, and not from the phosphate beds (e. Maastrichtian at bottom, and e. Eocene at top) from along the coast. Kem Kem has some huge bony fish, so it's possible. You might send the pics to John Maisey, at the American Museum in New York, in case it's a giant coelacanth.

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF, Diceros. Always good to add another knowledgeable resource to the mix!

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".