Unidentfied Moroccan Tooth

Philosoraptor

Hello. I was wondering if anyone here could identify this tooth from Morocco. It is from the early- middle cretaceous. I don't really know much else as like most fossil from Morocco, the exact location where they came from in unknown. With that said one of the interesting details with the tooth is that is has a ridge running along the sides. The picture you can see it best in is picture 2 but it doesn't show up that well. If there are any more questions about the fossil please ask me and I will try to answer them as best as possible.

post-17828-0-79268200-1427496500_thumb.jpg

post-17828-0-91645600-1427496537_thumb.jpg

post-17828-0-28965900-1427496648_thumb.jpg

Maybe it`s a Plesiosaur tooth, but is just a guess...

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It probably is a zarafasaura oceanis which is the most common plesiosaur from Morocco.

I don't think it's a plesiosaur tooth - they usually have anastomosing (interfingering) ridges on the crown. This one seems to have parallel fluting. The carinae on both sides suggests a croc, and the long, slender shape suggests a marine one, like Thoracosaurus. The Cretaceous lower phosphate beds of coastal Morocco are e. Maastrictian, so not early to middle Cret.

I respectfully disagree. Although I think it could be a croc I don't think it is a throacosaurus because of how conical the teeth are.