A Whole Week At Calvert Cliffs

ajracrew

Last week, I stayed alongside the Chesapeake Bay to hunt Calvert Cliffs for the full week… and the cliffs did not disappoint! I did day hunts as well as night hunts on most of the days. Prepare yourselves, because this will be a long post!

Saturday (Day 1) Highlights: a small & beat up meg that was found in the first 5 minutes, a large ray pavement, nice upper & lower seven gill cow shark teeth, several nice makos, as well as two 1.5" hemipristis.

I had a friend that came along for the night hunt and he found TWO 2 1/2" makos. A killer upper (that I nearly stepped on) and a lower.

post-6339-0-90440000-1427755627_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajracrew

A whole week! I did a couple 3&4days trips there and thought that was long. After seeing your finds I'm jealous.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That's a pretty good ray pavement in the middle of the miscellany!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sunday (Day 2) Highlights: My friend and I decided to check out another spot further North. The finds were slow at first since the high winds kept the tide up. I walked up and down a particular stretch of beach that had numerous smaller teeth washing up with every wave… and eventually a very nicely preserved fragment of a meg washed up. I stuck around for a bit to see if I could find the whole tooth, but had no luck. I continued up the beach and found a very nice & tiny posterior meg that had just washed ashore. I returned to that very area 15 minutes later and a fragment of a large meg had just washed up… my largest from the cliffs thus far! I stuck around that area for a bit longer and another meg fragment washed up… crazy! After not finding much for awhile, I continued up to a large cliff fall and found a tiny 3x3 foot area at the base of the fall. As I started to continue on, I noticed the smallest tip of a root sticking up out of the sand. I dropped down and tried to pull the tooth out, but it wasn't giving… a good sign! I began to move rocks and dig out some sand… and a perfectly preserved 2 3/4" inch meg appeared before me. I couldn't believe my luck!

post-6339-0-69898700-1427757927_thumb.jpg

Wow ,,,,,I absolutely love the ray plate....... :envy: And a nice assortment of teeth...

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

That's a pretty good ray pavement in the middle of the miscellany!

Thank you! It was my second ray pavement in less than a week! Before that week, I have only found fragments with two teeth at most. It was quite strange because this pavement was found in almost the exact area as my first one.

Nice Meg......I'm sitting here waiting for the next post :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Nice Meg......I'm sitting here waiting for the next post :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Same here lol :) Great finds BTW. LOve the pavement teeth and that sweet Meg! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Monday aka "Megless Monday"(Day 3) Highlights: Today was a little slower compared to the previous two days, but I still pulled some nice finds. I picked up a croc scute, a killer seven gill cow shark tooth, and an absolute killer mako that looks like it had just been washed out. The mako takes the cake for find of the day. It measures 1 3/4".

post-6339-0-69014900-1427759801_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajracrew

Same here lol :) Great finds BTW. LOve the pavement teeth and that sweet Meg! :fistbump:

Thank you! I was quite thrilled when I found both of those.

Ground shot of the ray pavement. It was just waiting to be snatched!

Oh man......You're killing me... :faint: .with that pic of the ray pavement,,,,,.lol. Those are some sweet mako's in your third post not to mention that croc scute. :D

Tony

Tuesday (Day 4) Highlights: Tuesday's day hunt was very slow. I tried out Brownies, which was not good at all. I was luckily enough to find the white colored mako and a decent hemi. Things got much more interesting back at my main site during the night hunt. I set out for another night and immediately found a very sharply serrated meg measuring 2 1/2" in the same exact area where I found the meg from Day 1. It was very high up on the beach near a cliff fall, so it must have just washed out during high tide. I continued down the beach and had decent luck with the occasional mako or hemi. By time I got back to the main beach, I was about to call it quits. I noticed that the water was oddly low and extremely calm. This caused the water to clear up, so I decided to wade around in the water for a bit. 5 minutes after venturing into the water, I saw a bit of bourlette poking out from the bottom. It turned out to be a worn, but whole 2 3/4" inch meg…. wow! I continued on and no later than 5 minutes after, I saw a very nicely preserved meg just sitting fully exposed in the water… at this point I couldn't believe my eyes! I walked another few feet and found the large meg fragment. I continued on for another 20 minutes without finding much else. I decided to call it a night and head back. As I was making my exit, I noticed a root sticking out under some rocks in the water… and out came an amazing 2 1/4" mako! Surely this was all a dream, right?

post-6339-0-80054300-1427761545_thumb.jpg

I love this thread! Man you are really pulling some great teeth. Glad you are having a productive trip. Some of those megs are in great shape!

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

I was down around virginia about ten days ago and only found a few things...I was thinking of stopping by the cliffs but I was not up to the 1.8 mile hike to the beach,,,,,back problems......Wednesday I'm getting some shots in my back and if they work ....I'm heading towards the cliff......Dang,,,those are some great finds :fistbump:

Tony

I love this thread! Man you are really pulling some great teeth. Glad you are having a productive trip. Some of those megs are in great shape!

Thank you! I couldn't believe my luck on this trip. I usually come away with a couple decent teeth per trip, but never this many! The best is yet to come ;)

I was down around virginia about ten days ago and only found a few things...I was thinking of stopping by the cliffs but I was not up to the 1.8 mile hike to the beach,,,,,back problems......Wednesday I'm getting some shots in my back and if they work ....I'm heading towards the cliff......Dang,,,those are some great finds :fistbump:

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. That walk is definitely tiring… especially after a long hunt. I hope that you can get back out there soon!

Wednesday (Day 5) Highlights: Today was only a day hunt since the low tides were getting later and later as the week went on (plus I was very tired by this point). I managed to find some nice hemis and makos pretty consistently that day. I was quite shocked to find the meg at the particular stretch of beach that it was on. I had never even found a fragment of a meg that far North at this particular location. I continued on and managed to find my largest lower seven gill cow shark tooth yet as well as a 1.5" lower hemi in perfect condition.

post-6339-0-80026300-1427763109_thumb.jpg

You had one awesome trip! Your killing me slowly!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Posting finds like this is dangerous. You wouldn't want me visiting the Cliffs for a week :ninja:

:drool::envy:

Thursday (Day 6) Highlights: This day was a little slower starting off. I took a friend up North since I had some good finds up that way on the previous day. We weren't finding much at all until we returned to the main beach area. I began to pick up a couple nice makos and hemis. I also happened upon a rib segment with two nice predation marks. The real excitement set in when I was walking up the beach and saw the root of a huge hemi sticking out of the sand. I was thinking that this would be one of my largest hemis to date since the root was so wide. I picked it up out of the sand and saw how short the blade was comparatively. I washed the sand from the tooth and noticed that this tooth was in fact whole… and extremely pathological. It appears as if the tooth was stretched, twisted and pulled. It measures 1 3/4" wide and just over 1 1/2" long, and sits up on its side. I continued on for a short while and found the smallest posterior meg measuring 3/4"… what an awesome day!

post-6339-0-60444000-1427764298_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajracrew

Posting finds like this is dangerous. You wouldn't want me visiting the Cliffs for a week :ninja:

:drool::envy:

Haha very good point! But you gotta know exactly where to look ;)

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. That walk is definitely tiring… especially after a long hunt. I hope that you can get back out there soon!

Thank you.....its been some years since I've been to the cliff's.....I got my fingers crossed.

Tony

That pathological Hemi is so cool.....I love pathological shark teeth ,,,they can take on some weird shapes....So far you're having one hek of a fossil trip....Is the best yet to come...I can't wait to see...not that what you have showed us already isn't great.

Tony