Hadrosaur Egg Scam?

That surface looks a lot like what I would expect to see in a hadrosaur egg. I looked at some of the cracks... if the zigs and zags on the edge of a fragment match up with the zags and zigs across the glue or matix or filler in the crack, then you have good reason to believe that part is real. I saw a few places where the zigs and zags correlate well. Nice egg. Could use a little more prep, though. I see too much red matrix on the outside of the egg. That's the preparator in me speaking.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have successfully employed the "back" edge of a C-shaped dental pick to gently scrape away the whitish mineral deposit on the shell of a Hadrosaur egg. Any non-scratching implement will do. You just want to scrape off the thin layer occluding what we believe to be the shell of this piece. A damp paper towel is useful to get rid of the pulverized matrix, hopefully revealing the unmistakable surface of eggshell. CAUTION: if this is indeed a Hadrosaur egg of Chinese origin, the reddish matrix that supports and fills the interior of the egg may be extremely hydrophillic. If you follow the natural impulse to "wash" the piece during prep to remove powdered matrix - you may end up with a basin full of viscous mud and shell fragments. Good luck, have fun.

Above is a previous response I gave to a similar post. The "coating" that seems to cover the surface of your piece will probably scrape off with ease. It is just a long tedious process to complete the entire surface. I have found it best to use the "flat" portion of the implement employed - not the point. Again avoid the impulse to expose the piece to water (soak) - use a damp cloth only. I have never used any type of coating on a prepped egg. In my experience they are stable. Perhaps if it were to be handled a lot, as in a classroom, a coating would be of benefit. For display I feel none is needed. Good luck and have fun. If employed, this method will be a long process.

The two paragraphs above are from a post I made about a year ago.

LOL, your post has got jpc's preparator fingers itching. I confess, I too often see a perfectly nice piece; but find myself thinking..."I'd just take off a little more..." The paragraphs above describe how I approached this type of prep and most importantly the issue of avoiding soaking the piece. If you have a small fragment of matrix from the broken base, drop it in a little water and I suspect it will quickly become soft "mud." Of course jpc's assessment is correct. There is certainly improvement that could be made to the surface, if you decide to keep the piece. Good luck, have fun.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 4 weeks later...

I was interested in purchasing one of these from the same seller. I went into a fossil shop here in Portland and they had a couple that looked identical to what I have seen on here and on the listing. The shop wanted $1999.99... I guess if some uninformed trendy buyer is willing to pay LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a real egg, naively think we can honestly:

probably the egg was inverted and showed only half egg and they put the glue to the edges of the shell broken to make sure that does not open to the extraction, after pasted to another matrix and have it cleaned from the part that was still covered.

Probably it could instead be a different thought:

could possibly be that they found an egg and have it sectioned in half......., you see the cut smooth sediment, the glue mixed with sediment, the empty space and the other sediment? So from an egg they put two halves in two sediments and then sold two eggs instead of one, so double gain ..... so do the Russians for the ammonites heteromorphs ancyloceras in nacre on slab. They cut one in two and put in two rocks of the same sediment, all glued and worked with tools around the ammonites and they sold two from one. .... ...

->>>>> :)<

post-15317-0-69015500-1431557669_thumb.jpg

Source: http://q13fox.com/2015/04/21/dozens-of-dinosaur-eggs-discovered-by-construction-workers-in-chinese-city/

Here's a nice photo of a set, which was recently in the news. It gives you some perspective, and there are many more examples like this on Google. Here's a search of .... "dinosaur eggs china discovered"

https://www.google.com/search?q=dinosaur+eggs+china+discovered&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KdRTVY_CD8WlgwSFnIHwAQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoBA&biw=1400&bih=723#imgrc=_