Talk Me Down

Chamfer

I have sent a link to this topic to AgrilusHunter; hopefully he will weigh in.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Maybe, if it was sandwiched between leaves. The matrix appears to be richly foliate...

I guess so eh! My insect and plant collecting has been pretty limited.

Wow. That's cool that you found the counterpart. I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing more photos.

The debate between leaf and wing highlights the possibility of wings originally evolving to mimic leaves.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

I'd doubt that wings "originally" evolved to mimic leaves, but some wings did later evolve to mimic leaves.

Yongjie Wang, Conrad C. Labandeira, Chungkun Shih, Qiaoling Ding, Chen
Wang, Yunyun Zhao, and Rena (2012)
Jurassic mimicry between a hangingfly and a ginkgo from China.
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1205517109
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

http://www.pnas.org/content/109/50/20514.full.pdf

I took the specimen (part and counterpart) to the Alabama Museum of Natural History today (Friday). The Curator of Paleontology put it under a microscope, and determined that it was definitely an insect wing. I'm very pleased, and was delighted to donate it to the museum.

We were shown several of their other specimens of insect wings. All were much bigger than the 12mm one I had. They made some awfully big bugs back in the Carboniferous Period! We also got a guided tour of the back rooms at the museum, including the preparation labs and the main storage where thousands of fossils, from traces to inverts to dinosaurs are kept. It was an extremely good day.

This week I slapped together a DIY light tent and took some better photos. Attached are part and counterpart.

Once again, thank you everyone for your input and thoughts in this thread. I'm off to look for more goodies. Someone needs to find an insect with the body, after all!

post-11901-0-70332500-1429333266_thumb.jpgpost-11901-0-11615500-1429333272_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I took the specimen (part and counterpart) to the Alabama Museum of Natural History today (Friday). The Curator of Paleontology put it under a microscope, and determined that it was definitely an insect wing. I'm very pleased, and was delighted to donate it to the museum.
We were shown several of their other specimens of insect wings. All were much bigger than the 12mm one I had. They made some awfully big bugs back in the Carboniferous Period! We also got a guided tour of the back rooms at the museum, including the preparation labs and the main storage where thousands of fossils, from traces to inverts to dinosaurs are kept. It was an extremely good day.
This week I slapped together a DIY light tent and took some better photos. Attached are part and counterpart.
Once again, thank you everyone for your input and thoughts in this thread. I'm off to look for more goodies. Someone needs to find an insect with the body, after all!

Congratulations on a wonderful find, and on your donation to the museum!

Well done.

Now, go find some more! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Double Woot!

The donation deserves to be announced here: LINK :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent images and a worthy goal. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 5 months later...

I have to say this one is still vexing me. I still feel much more strongly that it is a partial leaf rather than in insect wing. Have a look at these various wings and fossil leaves. To me the wings have a much more chaotic venation and the leaves tend towards a more orderly birfurcating pattern.

post-186-0-94686500-1444769780_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26476400-1444769785_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-14706800-1444769789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carl

Weird features, this is what I see, thick veins, close together, coming from the top, and the veins extend all the way to the objects visible border, there are a few other features I notice. But either way, usually insect wings with thick veins have a good amount of space between veins, and with thin veins they have them a lot closer, compare cicadas to dragonflies. Plant veins often come more often through the middle of the leaf and the thick veins usually have many visibly smaller veins branching off of them. Just my 2 cents.