Suchomimus Tooth

Runner64

Hey so I found a Suchomimus tooth a while back and have always wanted one. What are your guy's thoughts on it? Do you think it's genuine?

post-17312-0-40257200-1429047961_thumb.jpgpost-17312-0-00274000-1429048000_thumb.jpgpost-17312-0-61082700-1429048025_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... That is not big enough to say for sure one of the giant Cretaceous crocs. I have two inch croc teeth from the Eocene that are from much smaller beasts. If it had been huge we could say that suchimimus might be good guess. It is not particularly massive. The preservation is not quite like my Sahara stuff. I am not sure of the actual physical (non-size) characters of suchimimus teeth, but from had other thing I have mentioned, I would say... Can't say with certainty. Did you get it from one of the Moroccan dealers?

Well I'm not quite sure about a croc tooth because the serrations are not in a 'V'. If I'm correct, don't croc teeth have their serrations in a V formation? Also one physical characteristic that really caught my eye is how the tooth curves. Suchomimus teeth are known to curve backwards. But I agree the tooth is not that big.

The preservation/color is good for a tooth from Niger and the size is appropriate for a Suchomimus tooth. I always struggle with a tooth like this on whether it's Croc or Spinosaurid and would not trust a dealer on this call. My Suchomimus tooth has very pronounced apicobasal ridges but I've seen them much smoother. Its not clear cut in my mind but that not to say its not one.

• I found this Informative 1

Just curious, but do croc teeth curve like that of a suchomimus? And I thought crocodilian teeth's serrations were more in a 'V' formation

Some species of Croc teeth look very similar to Suchomimus including the shape. I'm not very knowledgable on croc's but not aware that either species had serrations, they have ridges and I'm clueless on your V comment.

Sorry I must have been told the wrong information previously. But yeah I have seen teeth that look very similar to Suchomimus. Do you know of any different physical characteristics?

Some species of Croc teeth look very similar to Suchomimus including the shape. I'm not very knowledgable on croc's but not aware that either species had serrations, they have ridges and I'm clueless on your V comment.

I agree... Not sure what the v you are talking about is. Croc teeth are generally serration less and yes, slightly curved. I don't know about suchimimus, though.

Edited by jpc

Sorry I must have been told the wrong information previously. But yeah I have seen teeth that look very similar to Suchomimus. Do you know of any different physical characteristics?

Not a lot of references out there and dealers are not well informed. I just try to find one that closely resembles a Spino tooth from Morocco with well defined ridges.