Italy

fossilnoggin

hi, my family and i will be heading to italy in a couple of months. we'll be visiting rome and sorrento for a few days, but most of our time will be spent near bari. i'd love to look for some fossils while there. i'm hoping we have some members from the area! thanks!

I hear the Italian fossil laws are...prohibitive.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i had heard that as well, but googled "fossil hunting in italy" and found some reports. so i'm not sure what to make of it. i can't imagine a fossil shell being considered a national treasure.

Well I would thoroughly research their laws before attempting the collect anything. If you have been following the news for the past couple years their justice system is pretty much do whatever they want.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yes... Collecting fossils in Italy is definitely against the law. Nando, who has until recently been quite active here has told me this. He lives in Italy but collects in other European countries plus the states.

It's a pity, but it's true. Italian fossil hunters spend more time in Germany than at home. If you get caught taking anything out of the country without permission, you'll have to dig deep into your wallet.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

thx all. it's not surprising, though it is upsetting. i was aware of an excellent dinosaur track site in altamura, not too far from where i'll be. i plan to visit it. found this yesterday. very neat! http://www.academia.edu/2166310/Fossil_heritage_in_Apulia_Mesozoic_vertebrates_and_dinosaur_tracksites i'll definitely be looking and taking pictures. hopefully you can't get fined for taking fossil photographs home with you!!!

hi, my family and i will be heading to italy in a couple of months. we'll be visiting rome and sorrento for a few days, but most of our time will be spent near bari. i'd love to look for some fossils while there. i'm hoping we have some members from the area! thanks!

In Italy and forbidden to fossils.

If near Milan has come to find me.

And an invitation you will see many fossils.

Hello Michele

Excuse my English