Some Great White Fossil News

Traviscounty

Unfortunately, a single specimen only tells us about an individual, not an entire species. I'll believe the slower growth theory when it can be verified with specimens from several different geographical regions. If a non-human studied the remains of a single human such as a Mbenga or Bambuti it might determine that all humans were much smaller than we truly are, and if the remains of someone with gigantism were examined it would "prove" the opposite. It is necessary to sample more than one source to draw reasonable conclusions about an entire species.

Unfortunately, a single specimen only tells us about an individual, not an entire species. I'll believe the slower growth theory when it can be verified with specimens from several different geographical regions. If a non-human studied the remains of a single human such as a Mbenga or Bambuti it might determine that all humans were much smaller than we truly are, and if the remains of someone with gigantism were examined it would "prove" the opposite. It is necessary to sample more than one source to draw reasonable conclusions about an entire species.

I agree that more specimens like this would be needed to say for sure they grew slower, I would actually think the exact opposite. I have never seen a 3" modern great white tooth but i have seen a snarge load of 3" fossil great whites and 3" mako's their ancestors. So is it prudent to suggest that sharks of this species from earlier in time aged slower? Going by this would mean that they would have had to have lived considerably longer in order for the teeth to grow to such a massive size in comparison to modern sharks. I just don't think there is enough evidence here to make such a statement but then again the only facts i have are from this little article.

Wasn't this complete Great White jaw in Dr Gordon Hubbel's collection for a long time?

I believe it is still in his collection

• 2 weeks later...

No, the specimen is now in the University of Florida collections (FLMNH?) It has a UF cat. #.

Bobby