Show Us Your Complete Or Large Fronds

paleoflor

Hi all,

A day on which you find a complete or nearly complete frond is a fantastic day, if you ask me. They are quite rare plant fossils, as most compound leaves disintegrate prior to fossilization or collection. Besides being rare, complete fronds are fantastic and important, as they provide insight in the gross morphology of the plants that bore them. Not to mention they are often beautiful to look at. Clearly superb fossils, I reckon they deserve some attention. Please show your finds!

I'll kick off with a ?Karinopteris robusta specimen from the Westphalian D of the Piesberg quarry, Germany.

post-2676-0-91212400-1430826220_thumb.jpg

Width of image is about 25 cm (from memory).

P.S. Large branching systems are more than welcome too!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thanks! I really like this specimen as it shows the lianascent nature of the plant.

Here's another couple of nearly complete fronds. These Dicroidium specimens come from the Middle Triassic of Nymboida (NSW, AUS).

post-2676-0-80211800-1430858866_thumb.jpg post-2676-0-80364900-1430858868_thumb.jpg

D. dubium (left) and D. zuberi (right). Note both specimens show the basal bifurcation.

My best Mariopteris specimens from the Pennsylvanian of Hainaut, Belgium. Far from complete, but the best I have...

post-2676-0-10590700-1430859742_thumb.jpg post-2676-0-99415200-1430859744_thumb.jpg

Two fronds of M. nervosa-sauveuri Danzé-Corsin 1953 (left) and partial M. sauveurii (Brongniart) Frech 1899 (right).

Hey Tim, neat plants!. I havent found anything complete but I do have several specimens that might fit this topic...will take some photos and post as I get em done.

Regards, Chris

Edit: Tim, I'm getting sidetracked again and really need to do some work/chores...LOL. In the mean time here's that Pecopteris I had showed you awhile back that I already photographed and am missing the provenance on. I am pretty sure its from Italy..

Pecopteris plumosa (Artis) Brongniart

Unconfirmed provenance:

Carboniferous

Carnic Alps, Mt. Corona, Pontebba, Udine, Italy

post-1240-0-20526000-1431109184_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-10187900-1431109157_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-49019600-1431109120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plantguy

Hi Chris,

I remember this one! Such a beautiful and colourful specimen tends to linger in the mind... It is certainly not a punishment to have to see it once more, though! Thanks for sharing (again). Pity you haven't been able to make much progress regarding (getting confirmation of the) provenance.

Good luck with your chores,

Cheers,

Tim

post-2676-0-11189700-1431123017_thumb.jpg

To keep this thread going, a near-complete, but unidentified frond from the Pennsylvanian from northern France. The frond, like many of the above specimens, definitely belongs to the Mariopteris-Karinopteris-Fortopteris complex. However, I haven't been able to identify it further. Any feedback in this regard is more than welcome!

post-2676-0-59400100-1431123166_thumb.jpg

Frond-architecture of A) Mariopteris, and B)Karinopteris (modified after Gastaldo and Boersma 1983a)

Here's another partial, an Odontopteris from the Late Carboniferous (Stephanian) of southern France. The rock shows only a fraction of a complete leaf (three external third-order rachises, compare with right side of frond schematic), in spite of being quite large (slab surface about 35 x 50 cm). For some pteridosperms, the fronds were so large (several meter-scale) that it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to ever collect a complete, undamaged frond.

post-2676-0-49009400-1431162236_thumb.jpg

Schematic after Zeiller 1900

In Feb I spent two weeks at The U of Alaska in Fairbanks working on a fossil. I can't show you guys that one yet, but here is an Eocene palm frond from southeastern AK that we worked on as well. The Museum of the North is putting this (and my little fossil) on display in a new Paleo of Alaska display. This leaf actually has a third piece, but putting all three on display would have been too big, so we only preped 2/3 of it.

This is me working on the stem of the leaf... the pedicle if you must.

post-1450-0-09235500-1431284217_thumb.jpg

And here it is with two of three pieces put together.

post-1450-0-19392900-1431284310_thumb.jpg

Very nice examples.

Do all Pteridosperms have either the bipartite or quadripartite split?

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

My best example....

Pecopteris (?) sp.

Winterset Limestone

Jackson County, Missouri

post-6808-0-50398200-1431300037_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

In Feb I spent two weeks at The U of Alaska in Fairbanks working on a fossil. I can't show you guys that one yet, but here is an Eocene palm frond from southeastern AK that we worked on as well. The Museum of the North is putting this (and my little fossil) on display in a new Paleo of Alaska display. This leaf actually has a third piece, but putting all three on display would have been too big, so we only preped 2/3 of it. [...]

That is a simply spectacular palm frond fossil! Pity size limits prevent the whole thing from being displayed...

Do all Pteridosperms have either the bipartite or quadripartite split?

The Lyginopteridales had bipartite or quadripartite fronds. Most Medullosales had a basal dichotomy as well, but some did not (Linopteris and Paripteris, for example).

My best example....

Pecopteris (?) sp.

Winterset Limestone

Jackson County, Missouri

attachicon.gifpost-6808-0-58978700-1331277657.jpg

Nice specimen, complete with tip. Could it be a neuropterid, though? The variation in pinnule shape/size (much larger and more elongate near the tip) would suggest this.

Nice specimen, complete with tip. Could it be a neuropterid, though? The variation in pinnule shape/size (much larger and more elongate near the tip) would suggest this.

That is a possibility. Many of my id's (especially plants) depend on old labels. :)

Context is critical.

• 2 weeks later...

In Feb I spent two weeks at The U of Alaska in Fairbanks working on a fossil. I can't show you guys that one yet, but here is an Eocene palm frond from southeastern AK that we worked on as well. The Museum of the North is putting this (and my little fossil) on display in a new Paleo of Alaska display. This leaf actually has a third piece, but putting all three on display would have been too big, so we only preped 2/3 of it.

attachicon.gifP2240930b.jpg

attachicon.gifP2260963b.jpg

oh man--awesome! Regards, Chris

My best example....

Pecopteris (?) sp.

Winterset Limestone

Jackson County, Missouri

attachicon.gifpost-6808-0-58978700-1331277657.jpg

This a sweet example as well...has anyone published anything on the flora from the Winterset? Seems I've seen other examples somewhere...maybe they were ebay sales? cant remember diddly anymore..

Regards, Chris

Tim, here is another good sized fragment I have in my collection...

post-1240-0-59005500-1432694547_thumb.jpg

Pecopteris cf P.polymorpha??

Oberkarbon/Saar Stephan A

Gottelborn-Reden Germany

Regards, Chris

• 3 months later...

Here is my finished Green River Palm Frond.

This is a worthy deco in any decent house!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Stunning!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

attachicon.gifP2240930b.jpg

attachicon.gifP2260963b.jpg

Jp, Is it yet, yet?

Nice Eocene Palm too!

Regards, Chris