Rivers Edge Find

alwayslookin2find

First time posting, so bear with me. I found this speciman on rivers edge in michigan. Brought it to a couple geology teachers here locally, but they had no clue. It is 3" x 3" and a very hard stone. The teacher looked at the open part with a magnifier and it does appear to have a skin like pattern. Not visible to the naked eye though. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Never seen anything like this!

post-13843-0-79642100-1432603600.jpg

post-13843-0-00373600-1432603633_thumb.jpg

Welcome.

It's a mutant potato!

It looks like a funny shaped geode. It doesn't look like a fossil, but your pics are pretty tiny. Bigger, clearer shots of the "inside" would help.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I had tried in the past to download them but they wouldnt because they where to big, will try again.

Enlarged a bit:

post-423-0-90704100-1432674233_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very interesting!May be some kind of sponge? :zzzzscratchchin:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That is one of the weirdest and strangely symmetrical "rocks" I've seen on here.

I haven't a clue. Alien brain cast?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Looks organic material...not only on the external surface but also in the interior cavity,the "ligament".

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It might be a siderite-come-limonite nodule, and could have formed around organic remains.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I will try and get a closer pic of the inside. I kinda think a symetrical piece is missing, but doesn't appear "broke" It weighs slightly over 10 ozs. As I said, it is a "solid" rock. Thanks everyone for the input

What is missing (I think) is like the left part of specimen in pic#4.

Please take better/closer pictures,also of the outer side.May help in the ID.

Thomas Mann

My Library

The outside looks like a geode, the very inside looks like it could be barite. Try checking the various different looking portions of the specimen for hardness. See if they scratch glass or can scratch or be scratched by a penny or steel knife. I feel like what ever this is has been replaced by different mineral replacements over time. Knowing the age and location where it was found could also help.

Will not bother again after these pics, thanks for your patience! Cannot get any closer without really distorting it

post-13843-0-39012300-1432682786_thumb.jpg

post-13843-0-71551600-1432682867_thumb.jpg

post-13843-0-89010000-1432682936_thumb.jpg

post-13843-0-41027400-1432682986_thumb.jpg

Looks like everyone is stumped including one of the top geology experts from UO:

"This one is a puzzle. It seems like a nodule of some sort, perhaps a silica nodule, but the center white thing looks like a fossil, perhaps a bryozoan. I have seen nodules formed around bryozoans in the Burlington Limestone (Mississippian of Illinois), and when weathered out of the limestone they are brown like this. I cannot however account for the strange lobed shape: perhaps the fossil nucleating it also had lobes not visible."

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Yes, the structure is so uniformed, first thing that came to my mind when i found it, was the game pac man! And the lines are so straight and precise. Looks like this one may go into the books as, one of a kind! Will keep watching for something similar. Thanks for input.

• 5 months later...

Several months have passed since this thread was launched and I think I found a possible ID for what I think is too perfect and symmetrical to be just a geological creation of MO Nature. The specimen in question looks to be formed of four chambers, partially filled with sediment that goes later through a crystallization process (?). The external surface of the 4 lobes (one is missing) for me looks to have a crinoidish texture, also on one of the upper-middle (or lower- middle) area of the junction of lobes something is missing, which in my interpretation could be the appendage to a crinoid stem. My thought is that the whole ensemble could be a Lobolith (Camarocrinus), considered to be an attachment of Silurian-Devonian Scyphocrinitid (Scyphocrinus) which permitted the buoyancy necessary to a planctonic lifestyle of the crinoid.

Here are some comparative pictures from an ebay-sale specimen from the US: post-17588-0-55837900-1446073001_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-32338300-1446073009_thumb.jpg

...and from google search https://www.google.ro/search?q=camarocrinus&biw=1360&bih=612&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCOPa-pPV4MgCFQZncgodVkMGCg&dpr=1&gws_rd=cr&ei=FDkxVrCZGsiqywO41b6wAQ#gws_rd=cr&imgrc=_

and an extract from the documents mentioned below: post-17588-0-94220100-1446073147_thumb.jpg

Fossil Crinoids - Hans Hess et al. http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam034/98011645.pdf
On the Crinoid Genus Schyphocrinus And its Bulbous Root Camarocrinus - Frank Springer https://ia700809.us.archive.org/4/items/oncrinoidgenussc00spri/oncrinoidgenussc00spri.pdf

Maybe I'm wrong...but, just take a look.

• I found this Informative 1

Thomas Mann

My Library

No stone unturned!

Well done, abyssunder :)

Will not bother again after these pics, thanks for your patience! Cannot get any closer without really distorting it

attachicon.gif006.JPG

attachicon.gif010.JPG

attachicon.gif009.JPG

attachicon.gif008.JPG

I was going to say, before noticing how old this post is, but for future reference: if you hold the camera too close to the item, it will not be able to focus. It's better to hold it just far enough for it to focus, and if you need to, crop the photo after, instead of shrinking it, and if you save it at say 90% quality instead of 100%, it will reduce the file size significantly without noticeably reducing the visual quality.