Two More Bones From South Florida Seeking Identification

digit

On a trip with Jeff (jcbshark) a few weeks back we were prospecting in a creek where I found a few interesting bones that I would be interested in seeing if more specific identifications can be assigned. The first is a vertebra with most of the processes still intact giving me the hope that it can be identified to species. The second appears to be a small phalanx which may or may not be distinctive enough to say anything more than if it is a phalanx or not. Since realizing that identifications are much more likely when photos are posted to the correct subforum (Fossil ID) rather than included as part of a fossil hunting trip report, I am reposting images of these to see if I can receive any enlightenment on these mini-mysteries.

First, the approximate dimensions of vertebra. As more of one of the side processes is missing, the total width of this specimen was actually closer to 15 cm (doubling the distance from the centerline to the tip of the longer blade). Overall height is 8.5 cm but as there seems to be a bit missing from the top, the complete height was likely over 9 cm. The length (front to back) appears to be about 5 cm.

-Ken

post-7713-0-21247900-1432746133_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-39030200-1432746140_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-80036300-1432746153_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-60142800-1432746171_thumb.jpg

The second item is this small bone which I believe may be a phalanx due to its shape but have no clue as to its further identification.

It is approximately 2.5 cm long and about 1.5 x 1.0 cm at its widest for width and height.

Any guidance (if possible) would be certainly appreciated.

-Ken

post-7713-0-18993000-1432747856_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-59449600-1432747860_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-69889000-1432747864_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-79011400-1432747869_thumb.jpg

Indeed, we have a strict standard to uphold here in South Florida. If we don't produce interesting finds the rest of the world will think were making this stuff up. ;)

I've learned to separate out ID questions from my trip reports as they stand a better chance of catching the attention of someone with the key piece of information locked away in their brain. The diversity of knowledge embodied by this forum never ceases to amaze me. Hoping some people with more knowledge than I will chime in after dinner and elucidate some identifications.

-Ken

It does rather look like the medial phalanx on the top digit in that photo.

Anybody care to take a stab at the vertebra?

Cheers.

-Ken

After examining the phalanx here, I don't think it bears a close resemblance to your find. Judge for yourself:

post-42-0-99846100-1432848818_thumb.jpg

This one is from the Fort Meade Mine in Polk County. There were, according to Hulbert, four or five different chelonioids to be found in the Early Pliocene of South Florida.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It bears a general resemblance in that mine is likely a similarly positioned phalanx. I assume the phalanges of many critters all share some similar characteristics and I don't know how much variability there is within a particular species so I'd hesitate to assign it to any of the possible chelonioids without seeing a lot more comparative material. I'm happy to know that I've likely identified it correctly as a phalanx. I figured it would either turn out to be something common that others have seen lots of or it would remain a mystery. Something for my bag of questionables to bring along next time I stop up to see Dr. Hulbert.

I would have thought that the vertebra with the interesting vertical projections from the horizontal processes might have been easily recognizable by someone but so far no bites.

Thanks for all the info.

-Ken

Thanks Harry for the continued diligence on this little mystery. The first photo does look quite like the little bone I keep holding up to my computer screen. The group that I do sea turtle hatchling rescue with would be amused if I could show them a fossilized sea turtle phalanx. Some place in my collection I have a small bony plate that I thought might be armadillo but that Dr. Hulbert identified as the subdermal plates of a leatherback sea turtle which was quite a surprise (and a treat). Nice to have something terrapin that is not just carapace and plastron frags.

Anybody want to take a stab at the vertebra?

Cheers.

-Ken