Found This Spot While Out Rockhunting

FireStar

South of Hanksville, UT...

I have been to this spot a few times and I know others go frequently. This was the first time I noticed the petrified wood and bone. Most are in the rock and easy to see but there are more coming up through the eroding dirt. It was pretty cool. I have many pictures, but the files are too big.

post-17990-0-19919100-1433907339_thumb.jpg

post-17990-0-30518400-1433907435_thumb.jpg

Looks like none, esp the second photo. Interesting conglomeration matrix. Unusual for the Morrison. At least from a Wyoming point of view

I think there is a very weathered bone in both pieces, although it is hard to see in these photos.

It is very rare to find bone and wood in the same formation, and I see no wood in these photos.

If You can take better photos of a piece that is not as weathered or some of the "wood" We could do a better able to tell what You have found.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I lost the picture years ago, but north of Hanksville there is a cliff with two intire trees in it and just about the trees are two dino bones, one being rather large.

RB

I have attached pics of the piece of petrified wood. There are several spots around that I know of where there is bone and wood in the same location. A good example is at the Hanksville Burpee site north of Hanksville, but there is a great spot with giant petrified logs (many have been stolen over the years) that is south of Hanksville, as well. I have found many pieces of agatized bone mixed with petrified wood pieces there. I am sure there are other spots like that around.

post-17990-0-70064600-1433966312_thumb.jpg

post-17990-0-11554300-1433966317_thumb.jpg

Thank you for posting these in-situ images, FireStar, the taphonomy is very interesting (I was unaware of these sites).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

RJB, do you know where those trees in the cliff were? I would love to look for them. I have seen some trees in the side of a wall near Poison Springs (which is southeast of Hanksville, I think), but I didn't see any bone. There is amazing petrified wood out that way!!!

post-17990-0-49021200-1433970746_thumb.jpg

Edited by FireStar