Butvar, Vinac Or Paraloid?

dre464

Good morning, everyone.

I have quite a few plates of bryozoans, echinoid spines and crinoid pieces from the Lake Brownwood Spillway. I was wondering which would be the best for sealing them. As you probably know, the bryozoans are extremely fragile and if they pull free of the matrix, they practically shatter.

Also, some might require a little more cleanup than just a toothbrush and water. I have an air eraser. Would dolomite be too harsh on the lacy bryozoans?

I'm a major newbie, and have no experience in prepping these kinds of fossils (or any other kind, for that matter).

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Any of the consolidants mentioned is perfectly acceptable for this use. I'd say used whatever is easiest for you to acquire and stick with it for your prep needs.

My personal preference is PVA as it was the easiest to get for me a decade or so ago. So, I've stuck with it on all my preparations. It's a whole lot easier to remember what you used when you only use one type of adhesive and one type of stabilizer!

Dolomite in the air eraser should be fine. Make sure to use very low PSI so you aren't as likely to blow the specimen right off the matrix.

Thanks Ptychodus04. I'll give the dolomite a shot on a practice piece.

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Make sure your Dolomite is very dry. I bake mine in the oven at 250deg f, for about 45 min. Then keep it in a sealed ziplock bag in a plastic container. A cup or so goes a long way, and I just put it in a metal bowl to dry than when cool put in bag, watch the dust, everywhere. It takes practice so be patient, clogs are common. I use a fine stainless steel wire held in forceps to clean out the holes. Have fun, it is amazing what it can do.

Watch the dust.

ps. Here is one of my favorite links for using B72.Others should be similar.

http://www.connectingtocollections.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Davidson_and_Brown_2012_Paraloid_B-72-_Practical_tips_for_the_vertebrate_fossil_preparator.pdf

Edited by ZiggieCie

Thanks ZiggieCie. I'm excited to try the dolomite. And I'll make sure to dry it...

I have used all three and my personal preference is vinac. You can go from super dilute to a very good gap filling adhesive depending on the amount of vinac you use. I dissolve my vinac in acetone. Don't use enough of it to really get gassed from the fumes. Highly flammable.......