Info On The Quarry Near Kokomo Indiana

howard_l

I am going with a group to the quarry near Kokomo Indiana, I know there is the Kokomo Limestone and Waldron Shale but no one in this group has been there before. Does anyone know what is there and a hint of where to look. Thank You.

Edited by howard_l

These are just a general representation of what can be found in the Waldron shale. I used these to help ID finds from the St.Paul, Indiana quarry. The limestone is fairly hard, but easy to crack on natural fractures. I wouldn't expect any issues with the shale.post-16036-0-30898500-1434418386_thumb.jpgpost-16036-0-69666000-1434418712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raggedy Man

...I'm back.

Hi Howard, by any chance are you going to the pipe creek Jr quarry???

If it is Pipe creek here is a link to info and photos from last year.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/45904-pipe-creek-jr-quarry-crant-co-indiana-up-coming-trip-info-wanted/?hl=%2Bpipe+%2Bcreek+%2Bquarry%2C+%2Bind

Edited by ZiggieCie

This paper has some good locality info with corresponding maps: PDF LINK

Thornbury, W.D., & Deane, H.L., (1955)
The geology of Miami County, Indiana.
Indiana Geological Survey Bulletin, 8:1-49

KOKOMO LIMESTONE

The Kokomo limestone was named by Foerste (1904, p. 33) from the city of Kokomo in Howard County. He recognized an eurypterid zone in its lower part and a brachiopod zone in its upper part. Cumings and Shrock (1927, p. 76-77), however, restricted the name Kokomo to the eurypteroid zone and gave the name Kenneth limestone to the brachiopod zone. They considered the Kokomo formation as belonging to the Cayugan series of the Silurian system. Patton (1949, p. 13) described the Kokomo formation as gray to brown, banded dolomitic limestone, much of which is finely laminated. He observed that near Peru the upper beds are brecciated, crumpled, contorted, faulted, and recemented. The Kokomo lime stone ranges from a few feet to as much as 60 feet in thickness. The maximum exposed thickness of the Kokomo in Miami County is 4½ feet.

The Kokomo limestone is exposed at eight places in Miami County (pl. 1). It is found in the excavations along Big Pipe Creek, in the SW¼NW¼SE¼ sec. 29, T. 26 N., R. 4 E., where it is covered by Devonian limestone of Hamilton age. A good exposure of 4 feet of gray, finely crystalline, thinly laminated limestone can be seen near the mouth of Little Pipe Creek, in the NE¼SW¼ sec. 32, T. 27 N., R. 4 E. (pl. 3). The Kokomo is exposed in two places along the banks of the Wabash River, in the SW¼SE¼ sec. 32, T. 27 N., R. 4 E., and in the NW¼ NE¼ sec. 36, T. 27 N., R. 3 E. Normal Kokomo limestone was seen in the excavations from Prairie Ditch, in the NW¼SW¼ sec. 20, T. 27 N., R. 4 E.

The best exposures of the Kokomo are along the bluffs which form the south side of the Wabash Valley. In the NW¼NW¼SW¼ sec. 36, T. 27 N., R. 3 E., in a northward-flowing tributary of the Wabash, 3.2 feet of normal Kokomo limestone is exposed. In the SW¼SW¼NW¼ sec. 35, T. 27 N., R. 3 E., along a stream cut, 2½ feet of Kokomo is exposed. In a stream cut in the NW¼NW¼ SW¼ sec. 35, T. 27 N., R. 3 E., gray, finely crystalline, thinly laminated limestone 4½ feet thick crops out. The limestone continues upstream for about 1,100 feet. At some places the lower 2 feet are blue, finely crystalline, finely to nonlaminated limestone. About 800 feet upstream from the last-mentioned exposure, dips as steep as 90 degrees were observed. There the Kokomo consists of gray, thinly laminated, very dolomitic limestone. The limestone seems to have been derived from Silurian reef rock which was exposed at the time of deposition of the Kokomo. The thin laminations which are characteristic of the Kokomo persist even in this “reworked reef rock.”

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png