Fossilized Bone?

Quick2

• New Members

I found these in a gravel driveway where I work in Utica Illinois.
There are many deep gravel pits around here along the Illinois river.
Probably came from one of them. I was hoping someone could identify them for me. I think it is fossilized bone.
They are heavy for their size.
Much heavier then bone would be.
If they are fossilized bone, how old would they have to be to get like this?
Thanks, Terrypost-18742-0-09618900-1434844801_thumb.jpg

Aah, looks like your average run of the mill plastic guitar pick to me. JK!!! They do have a bone appearance, but the pictures are a bit blurry. Can you take better shots and repost?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Appear to be bone, but even if the pictures were clear, unlikely that they could be identified to element or species.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I think that I have to agree with caldigger this time, it does resemble other guitar picks I have seen. Now I am not a musician but sure it is a guitar pick. :rofl:

Welcome to the Forum! :)

I agree with the others,they are bone fragments ...and guitar pick for scale reference with the unlabelled side.

(I also like music and perform.)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

hmmmm......that would be a rare plectrumis pickicus(lol).......and some bone fragments too!

I seriously can't stand it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus.

• 2 weeks later...

A dissenting voice here...I am simply not getting a bone vibe; where one end can be seen, the texture doesn't change (bone has 'grain'). I think they are shards of dolostone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I do not believe they are bone either, at least without some more convincing pix.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks