Fossil Or Rock?

reddesilets

This is from my last trip a week or so ago to Northbridge Park on the Ashley River in Charleston, SC. I have been busy and unable to finish looking up those finds. This is one that truly intrigues me though... Is this something? Is it a tooth or other fossil? Or am I seeing what I hope to see in a rock? Thanks.

post-18444-0-81074100-1434986150_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-01154100-1434986154_thumb.jpg

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

another view

post-18444-0-49031000-1434986898_thumb.jpg

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

I agree with the id, there are some clams with that shape though.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks! I'm very new at this so I'll get the hang of it.

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

I agree with rock, but it does have the shape of a Phestia bivalve. Is this area Mississippian or Pensylvanian?

According to the state's geological survey, this area where I found it is Holocene. It's along a river bank very close to the ocean so it could have come from anywhere along the watershed since I was only surface hunting and not digging.

— Henry Fairfield Osborn