Please Help Me I.d. This Thinking That It Could Be Sinemys Gamera

shane

Out of focus; no information as to where it was found or what its age might be. Sorry, but anything anyone says about this would be pure conjecture. Cant read the scale, so no idea if it is one inch, one foot or one meter in length.

I will say this - Sinemys gamera it is not.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

It appears to be the positive cast of an invertebrate's resting place.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sinemys is a genus of L. Jurassic - E. Cretaceous turtle, known from China and Japan, so it certainly is not that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Out of focus; no information as to where it was found or what its age might be. Sorry, but anything anyone says about this would be pure conjecture. Cant read the scale, so no idea if it is one inch, one foot or one meter in length.

I will say this - Sinemys gamera it is not.

Give us some information to work with here, Shane. We might could be of help, then.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Shane,

If this is from the Eastern United States, it looks to me like a burrow of a trilobite, called a Rusophycus.. It's considered an Ichnofossil (Trace Fossil).

See this picture of a Rusophycus from the Cincinnati Ohio (USA) area from the Dry Dredgers web site.

http://www.drydredgers.org/fieldtrips/trip200804/images/IMGP1677.jpg.

Do a web search on trilobite burrows and compare the images you see to your specimen.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by billheim
  • I found this Informative 1

The trace fossil Rusophycus comes to mind.

post-423-0-94737900-1436571170_thumb.jpg

I agree with Bill, a resting place from a trilobite. A good find.

Also welcome to the forum. :yay-smiley-1:

To help with fossil or thing, ID's; photo needs to be in focus, a size reference and a location of where found.

• I found this Informative 1

Ichnofossil Rusophycus could be a good ID. "The Rusophycus is a large,bilobate resting trace,which separates mesially to reveal two longitudinal series of nodes (Figs.2,4,5).Rusophycus is normally attributed to trilobites (Bergstrom,1973), but rarely is the trace-forming trilobite found associated with the trace." Rusophycus (Early Ordovician ichnofossil) from the Mithaka Formation,Georgina Basin - J.J.Draper http://www.ga.gov.au/corporate_data/81023/Jou1980_v5_n1_p057.pdf

post-17588-0-85104600-1436607183_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library