Bone Fragment

cmn85

Hey,

My wife found this on the surface at the Souris Agate Pits in Southwestern Manitoba this past weekend. It's only about two and a half inches long, so I doubt a species ID is possible, but can you confirm that this is indeed bone? Also, it's very light, and I'm not sure if it's indeed fossilized, or just an old bone fragment. Thoughts?

post-18826-0-05549000-1436900806_thumb.jpg

post-18826-0-13876100-1436900813_thumb.jpg

post-18826-0-74546400-1436900818_thumb.jpg

The only observation I can share (and that's all it is, an observation) is that the shard is heavily pneumatized, similar in appearance to some T. rex bones.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like permineralized shard of bone...other then that ....its all that can be said about it.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

It appears to be mammal bone, and not much fossilized, if at all. If I had to guess, Id look at some of the thin edges of a large mammal pelvis - horse or cow.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I tend to agree with Rich that it is from a mammal. I can almost imagine it as a diagonal fragment of large rib.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ