Gastropods

RJB

Guest Nicholas

You do some amazing prep work sir! Everyone of your specimens here are very detailed and great. Perhaps when I begin getting more fossils to prep and in particular gastropods you could give me some pointers? Excellent stuff!

RB now that you have your electric on and will be starting to prep again how about making a detailed step by step post about how to prep? You could post step one as your first post and then step two as your second and so on as you prep a fossil. I realize it may take some time for all the steps to be completed but it would be very helpful for some of us to see how you do it.

You do some amazing prep work sir! Everyone of your specimens here are very detailed and great. Perhaps when I begin getting more fossils to prep and in particular gastropods you could give me some pointers? Excellent stuff!

Thanks Nicholas. I would be happy to give you some pointers, but its really just a matter of having the tools and just start prepping. There are certain glues to use and different kinds of materials to rebuild things though, but you cannot beat practice!!! Believe me, the fossils that ive been posting are my best or more interesting ones. I dont just go out and find good stuff usually, its just that I used to go out all the time. Sometimes 5 days a week. (I was usually out of work in the winter time and that was the best time to hunt for fossils). I would usually find just so-so stuff. Many many times I would come home with absolutly nothing! But the more I prepped over the years, the better I got at being able to look at something and be able to somewhat tell if it would prep out nice and be complete. Some of that has to do with the particular layer you are hunting. But the most important thing is to have patience. Took me a long time to learn that.

RB

Oh, and you certainly dont have to call me sir. Im just like you. I like to dig in the dirt just like a little kid.