Aurora Trip

iamsharky

Had a great time at the Lee Creek Mine, thanks Brian, Fossil Forum and PCS! Unfortunately we only had an hour and a half in the mine due to weather.

8 hour drive there, 9.5 hour drive back. But it was awesome and I hope to get back some day....

I found 2 teeth. one small sand tiger with the corner broken off when i was walking in, along the ramp and approx 15 minutes before the hunt was called i saw what i thought could possibly be a meg root. when i pulled on it with my rake, the clay moved in a way that i knew it was a tooth. It ended up being a 4.5 inch meg!!!

post-1109-1238462655_thumb.jpgpost-1109-1238462690_thumb.jpg[a

ttachment=22622:DSC00432__Small_.JPG]post-1109-1238462731_thumb.jpg[att

a

chment=22624:DSC00437__Small_.JPG]

post-1109-1238462706_thumb.jpg

post-1109-1238462751_thumb.jpg

Miocene/Eocene

Guest N.AL.hunter

It was a pleasure meeting you and everyone else Saturday night for dinner. Sorry that you all got only 1.5 hours in, but not too sorry since you did get a meg!

Way to go! There's guys and gals that have been there many times with no Megs to show! You got the magic touch!

It was a pleasure meeting you and everyone else Saturday night for dinner. Sorry that you all got only 1.5 hours in, but not too sorry since you did get a meg!

Yes, the dinner and fellowship was great!! I hope we can have another trip soon. If we could have had more time, I wonder what we could have found.. oh well. that meg is my new favorite tooth!

I think some folks may have went to the museum. I wonder if anything was found there?? Let's hear about it.

Miocene/Eocene

Way to go! There's guys and gals that have been there many times with no Megs to show! You got the magic touch!

Thank you. That was my first time land hunting so I can now add land hunting to my fossil addiction. (i usually dive)

Miocene/Eocene

Congrats again iamsharky! That tooth is awesome, I hope everyone is saving up their drool. I enjoyed meeting you, N.AL.hunter, Phoenix Flood, catshark, granpa, and all the other FF regulars. Thanks again BRSR for the opportunity.

-HZJ

Congrats again iamsharky! That tooth is awesome, I hope everyone is saving up their drool. I enjoyed meeting you, N.AL.hunter, Phoenix Flood, catshark, granpa, and all the other FF regulars. Thanks again BRSR for the opportunity.

-HZJ

Thanks, it did make the ride home, more enjoyable. It was great to meet you and hope to see you again on the fossil road.

Miocene/Eocene

pictures up-loaded in the original post at top of page!! Also, Thanks to Tracy and Chris, 2 of our guides, who gave me alot of good advice on what and where to look!!

Miocene/Eocene

That's is one freakin awesome tooth :faint: Congrats, maybe I'll get lucky when I go in a week or so.

We had a great time meeting everyone! I thought your tooth was pretty in the mine but it is gorgeous all cleaned up.

...15 minutes before the hunt was called i saw what i thought could possibly be a meg root. when i pulled on it with my rake, the clay moved in a way that i knew it was a tooth. It ended up being a 4.5 inch meg!!!

post-1109-1238462655_thumb.jpgpost-1109-1238462690_thumb.jpg[a

ttachment=22622:DSC00432__Small_.JPG]post-1109-1238462731_thumb.jpg[att

a

chment=22624:DSC00437__Small_.JPG]

Yeah Baby! :drool: It's beautiful!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

WOW, that color is awesome!! There wasnt much showing either. Nice find

Thanks all, i want to get back soon. I wish i had taken a picture when i first saw it, only the top corner of the root was showing. The pictures were taken after i pulled on it with my rake. you can see on picture of the tooth after it was cleaned, the part that was exposed.

Miocene/Eocene

Thanks all, i want to get back soon. I wish i had taken a picture when i first saw it, only the top corner of the root was showing. The pictures were taken after i pulled on it with my rake. you can see on picture of the tooth after it was cleaned, the part that was exposed.

Wow, way to go!!!! Remember it was I who talked you into getting a rake :D

Enjoyed meeting you too and everyone that was there that night!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Wow, you lucky dog!!! That tooth is a sight for sore eyes. I know that had to have made your drive home much more pleasurable. How did you keep from crashing?? If it were me, I would have had the steering wheel in one hand and that meg in the other!

Absolutely awesome, congrats!! :applause:

I enjoyed meeting you, N.AL.hunter, Phoenix Flood, catshark, granpa, and all the other FF regulars.

-HZJ

Right back at ya' Haizahnjager! ;)

Grandpa

Congrats on your MEG iamsharky. At leaste it was worth the trip down. I am sorry to all the other people that did come from a far distance just to get cancled after an hour and a half. But that is the chance that we all take.

• 3 weeks later...

yea when i saw the tooth on elasmo and then on here i said wait it must be from this trip report haha its one heck of a tooth, the best i have seen from the mine so far this year

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

yea when i saw the tooth on elasmo and then on here i said wait it must be from this trip report haha its one heck of a tooth, the best i have seen from the mine so far this year

Thanks bmore. I hope I am lucky enough to get back in there one day. I just believe there is a 5-6 inch tooth in there with my name on it!!

Miocene/Eocene

look if i found the tooth you did..... i would just drop dead right there haha! im going to be happy if i make it into the mine.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg