Sacrum - Animal Unknown

Rocks_in_my_Socks

My family has been recently exploring construction sites along with creeks and small rivers in Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky searching for interesting fossils, rocks, and anything else that catches our eye. My 5 year old son has sworn for almost 2 years now that he will grow up to be a paleontologist. While many other kids his age want to play with toys he wants to fossil hunt and metal detect. I am a scientist at heart so I love helping him and once I found this forum I promised him that I would ask some experts if they could help identify the amazing items we have found. The first is this sacrum we discovered in a Northern Kentucky creek. My initial research leads me to believe it could be from a bison, but I welcome any and all opinions so that we can learn more. Thank you!!!

post-19573-0-21832200-1441287629_thumb.jpg

post-19573-0-13256400-1441287630_thumb.jpg

post-19573-0-12862100-1441287631_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I'm with Seth, but I looked at bison skulls and those long tube like structures(for horns?) do not match up. They do bare a good resemblance to mammoth. Keep in mind I'm a human bone guy and I mostly collect invertebrates.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Seth & Paul, I greatly appreciate the quick response! The reason I think it may be a sacrum is because there are 6 or 8 (I can't remember and am not close enough to check) holes that appear like they are for nerve branching off of the central trunk of the spinal cord. The large opening on one side and the small opening on the other could mean that it is possibly the back of a skull but until now I have never explored that idea.

I do not think it is a sacrum. There is no sign of fused elements, from which a sacrum is made.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am also seeing a skull. Not gonna tell you of what, but yes, a skull. Skulls also have holes on the sides where nerves exited the brain area.

It's about 9" wide, 5" front to back, the large opening has about a 5" diameter, and the small opening has a 2" diameter

Fossil Forum helpers - several of you helped me identify that this fossil is the base of a skull instead of a sacrum, which I previously thought. If anyone can help identify the species I would be very appreciative. It was found in a creek in Northern Kentucky and measures about 9" wide, 5" top to bottom, the large opening has a 5" diameter and the small opening has a 2" diameter. Thank you!!!

post-19573-0-77938400-1441384056_thumb.jpg

post-19573-0-03752100-1441384057_thumb.jpg

post-19573-0-33893100-1441384057_thumb.jpg

It's not necessarily a fossil. It's some mammal and might just as easily be some recently dead livestock. If someone can ID it that might help clarify whether it is old enough to be a fossil or not.

Your topics regarding the same find have been merged to keep the discussion from being fragmented. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Definitely from an artiodactyl, an even hooved animal. The size could narrow it down to a cow or buffalo, unlikely to be a deer. Hard to determine without a close look but one side looks like the bone has possibly been cut, the edges straight and flat?

I doubt there is a way to definitively ID your find because it is only a fragment of the bottom of a skull.