Globidens Fragment

snolly50

I am in the middle of prep on a rooted Globidens anterior, rooted tooth. The root surface is seen at the upper right portion of the photo. The matrix is full of pinhead to pea sized bone fragments. This larger and unusually textured fragment is the exception. The exposed portion of the carbide needle, shown for scale, is 1". The fragment is a little better than 1mm thick. Given the rugose surface, does anyone have an idea what structure it may be a fragment of. Thanks for looking.

post-8873-0-18553100-1442175935_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

You are both of course correct. It is strongly suggestive in appearance of shell. However, it flakes like fossil bone. But since I have no experience in prepping out fossil shell; I don't know if that's Dx or not. I guess a further question at this point would then be; Are fossil shells with this surface found in the Moroccan Mosasaur beds?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I sure does look like carbonate shell material, especially the translucence revealed in the areas of fine cracks:

post-423-0-64241000-1442180618_thumb.jpg

Orts from a Globidens repast, perhaps...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hum, of all the phosphate chunks I have had, none have had any shell material that I have ever seen. Not to say there wouldn't be any. Didn't know this was a Moroccan piece. I hope you find your answer.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Good spot Auspex. In the blow-up the material does look even more shelly. Perhaps it is from the final repast of the round toothed sea king.

It is very interesting. A possibility (in my mind) is that maybe the "scute fragment" could be a plate of the scleral ring around the eye of the same specimen of Globidens (just an idea). (?) http://oceansofkansas.com/Marsh72c.html :unsure:post-17588-0-92920300-1442265529_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

To me, this has all the characteristics of shell. I think something similar to a Plicatula species would be a good match.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Good spot Auspex. In the blow-up the material does look even more shelly. Perhaps it is from the final repast of the round toothed sea king.

John, do you have any images of the other side or edge? (Really, I'm just looking for a reason to see more of your excellent photography. :D )

John, do you have any images of the other side or edge? (Really, I'm just looking for a reason to see more of your excellent photography. :D )

Thanks for the photo compliment. I dashed these off when I got home from traveling. That's my excuse, if they're not stellar. Also my original post was not factual. The thickness is decidedly greater than 1mm. It's closer to 3.5mm. The pictures don't show it as much as naked eye viewing, but the "top" shell looking layer appears much whiter than the light tan underlayer. The first shot is a side view of the object, the second shows the lower margin.

post-8873-0-19577800-1442529095_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-86056800-1442529135_thumb.jpg

The cross-section looks like shell material I see in the Cretaceous all the time. Thanks for taking the additional pics. Any plans to prep the opposite 'face'?

The cross-section looks like shell material I see in the Cretaceous all the time. Thanks for taking the additional pics. Any plans to prep the opposite 'face'?

Many thanks to everyone who looked this over and offered an opinion. Shell seems the most logically applied label. Now, I have only to invent a story to embellish the piece. Something along the lines; that the fearsome reptile was locked in mortal combat with a deadly, gigantic, killer mollusk and both expired during the titanic battle. Such a backstory, liberally and colorfully applied, can only serve to inflate the value and prestige of the piece!

OK, seriously, thanks for the help.

At this time I plan to leave the shell piece sitting on its little matrix shelf. My prep plan calls for the tooth to remain partially in matrix and I am uncovering other small shards in the matrix to add to the "fossilly" look of with display in mind. To this end I have squared off one face so the chunk can rest in an optimal display position. If I don't wreck it, I will post a picture of the finished fossil.

I've been lurking here all along and certainly see how this could be a shell. But I have also seen a good amount of bone preserved very much like this, particularly Triassic bone. I know that temporally, that doesn't help here but I'm still on the fence. More prep might help.

You know, I have a couple of phosphate matrix pieces that have bone of some sort (not really recognizable as anything) showing. I might try to prep some of it out to see if there is something else better within the chunk. Might be something good then again, maybe not. It's not going to hurt to find out.

Dorensigbadges.JPG