Pennsylvanian - North East Ohio- What Plant #2?

saysac

Lissa318, I wish I could say it was because I am good. You are hard pressed to crack open a rock and not find a fossil in this site....

Sherry

But you are cracking them open which makes you good! I sure hope you don't lose your enthusiasm and keep looking!!! I look forward to your finds and would love to have such a great place to fossil hunt. :)

Oh no, not loosing my enthusiasm in any way, shape or form! I go there every chance I get. It is my little retreat...a little piece of heaven on earth...

Sherry

Wow. Looks like a lot of nice Lepidodendron leaves. By the way, in case you didn't know, the larger leaves grew on the lower parts of the tree and the leaves became progressively smaller as the branches divided with the leaves at the tips of the tree being fairly small. So both big and little leaves could be on the same or similar tree.

Can you get a close up of the little fern on the edge of this plate. It looks different than what you've had before.

post-10955-0-56156700-1442459869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Thanks. Closer look, it appears to simply be some type of tree fern that's not well preserved. Not related to the more cycad-like fronds you are finding.

It is interesting that in other pennsylvanian locations, tree ferns like this are very common. In your location, such common items are more rare :)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan