Sponge

Rockwood

IMHO, I don't think it is a sponge. Age, location, formation

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

IMHO, I don't think it is a sponge. Age, location, formation

Only the ice knows for sure. It's from a glacial deposit in northeastern Maine. Lower Devonian would be likely. Marine fossils are fairly common there. I have collected a football sized chunk of crinoid pieces close to the spot.

There is rock there that seems almost certainly volcanic. This piece is much lighter and has a fine structure that seems very non mineral to me though.

Also I think is volcanic in origin.Maybe volcanic tuff? Is it soft?

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Also I think is volcanic in origin.Maybe volcanic tuff? Is it soft?

It's quite soft. I can almost powder it in my fingers, but should I be able to in 400 million year old tuff ?

I don't know. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this domain could answer the question.The outer layer looks to be harder in the picture,but the porous inner might be remain soft along the eons(I think). Does it float on water? If it does, could be pumice,very light rock material filled with tiny bubbles of gas, which also resembles somehow a fossil sponge, but is more glassy.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Tuff seems likely.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks guys. I see how this does fit. Here are a couple examples that I had identified as being volcanic. Perhaps the original post is younger or just from higher on the mountain.

post-7417-0-27463400-1444555280_thumb.jpg