Question about yet another ebay Keichousaurus

I’ve wanted one of these for a while for the collection, but also know finding a real one at a decent price is a snarge shoot! Obviously ebay is loaded with fakes, but this one looked a little better to me. I like that it is not perfect, and seems fairly detailed. One thought was if carved and painted why not add the 4th leg back in? I also know it’s almost impossible to tell from a jpeg off the internet, but would appreciate some of your thoughts. A few things I question, the slab itself is around 5”, which seems kind of small for this species, not sure though. The other is, the ad clearly states it’s from China, is written half in Russian, and ships from Israel?! Anyways, thanks for any info. you may have on this one.

post-2182-0-97546100-1444772059_thumb.jpg

From what you stated above, I'd be extremely cautious. If it were me, I'd stay clear from this as the whole transaction smells fishy. But that's just my opinion, which isn't saying much lol!

...I'm back.

Size - these critters,as adults are typically 6 to 10". So even fully extended this one looks smaller than average. Of course, like all animals they were not born full size.

Pose - I think your observation regarding the animals positioning has merit for consideration. To my eye its resting posture appears more random and natural than a posed "art piece." I also like the displaced limb bones.

International travels - The apparent multinational involvement with the piece adds to the intrigue. Given the accounts of banned fossil export from China, the apparent complicated chain of ownership gives an air of authenticity. If its a fabrication the Chinese producer could simply (and legally) sell it directly and cut out the apparent middleman or men.

Crack - There appears to be a diagonal crack at the bottom left 1/3. Not the common mineral filled seams often (and here) seen, but a real crack. I would inquire as to the stability of the plate. A positive is the crack runs through bone and, if detached, could give a peek "inside."

I like the piece, but my opinion based on a photo and a few pet ideas is worth very little. The bottom line - if you can afford the loss, and would not be crushed, if it turned out a worthless sham (I don't think it is) - buy it. Wishing you good fortune and fun in whatever you decide.

Edit:

Looks like the Forum gremlins decided to space my text to their own eccentric choosing, Hope it makes sense. Fixed it!

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks Snolly. I appreciate your input, good points, and kind of my thoughts too. I might have to pull the trigger on this one just for laughs. I'll let you know.

I like it, as much as can be seen on-screen. If it is a fabrication, it is s very, very good one.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks okay to me, bones have dimension. Some augmentation to the skull possible to fill it in but its really hard to tell from the photo.

On the bottom, past the feet. I think the tail looks different than the rest of the body.

Most of the bones appear to have been prepped near the bone which creates high contrast. On the lower half of the tail the area directly adjacent to the bones is darker and appears to have been unprepped. It wouldn't surprise me if half the tail was painted on.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks guys for your input. I went for it. I'll let you know more when I've got it in hand.

Good luck with it. Magnification is your greatest ally. Run it under a 10X loupe or even better a Zoomscope. Any painted areas will be immediately obvious. I hope it turns out to be a great acquisition.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks pretty real to me. Neck and tail may be enhanced, but still a good, genuine fossil.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

If a cast a great job.

I think I have one also ,a cast that was painted with a pencil , this one does not look like that.

Jeff