Unknown Vertebra

Khyssa

I found this vertebra in Rattlesnake creek this weekend in Gainesville, Florida. I know that it is badly damaged and that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to identify. Any guesses would be appreciated.

post-16954-0-59058500-1445361978_thumb.jpg

post-16954-0-07521300-1445361986_thumb.jpg

post-16954-0-90838100-1445361993_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I found this vertebra in Rattlesnake creek this weekend in Gainesville, Florida. I know that it is badly damaged and that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to identify. Any guesses would be appreciated.

Khyssa, I'm not sure what it is but it's a nice find. Congrats

Thank you. It's the biggest vert that I've found to date, it's just too bad that it's so damaged.

Even damaged it's still a great find. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the area will identify it. Where I hunt you mostly find Mosasaur verts. The two in the pic are the last ones I found. Sadly they are damaged also. post-19191-0-67448700-1445444307_thumb.jpg

Those verts and tooth are great. I would have loved to find those when I went to Texas earlier this year but sadly I came home without finding anything Mosasaur. I had really hoped to find something from a Mosasaur.

Love your vert! Funny I started out hunting for shark teeth, but I have found other things as well after several hunts. I get so excited over verts, pieces of turtle shelll, bones, you get the picture! I love finding everything---I am sure it's a newbie thing but I can't help myself! A while back I found a part of a joint--not smokable--from a bison or horse. I was so happy I danced a little jig in the creek! Thanks for sharing!

I showed this to a member of the paleo staff of the University of Florida at the FPS meeting this weekend and he said going by it's size that this is most likely a whale vertebra. Which is another first for me!

Edited by Khyssa