North East England UK - Sandstone and Limestone Cliffs Find

Stottiecake

Hello,

I hope someone on this forum will be able to help me identify this. I love to pick up various pebbles on the local beach and I found this, which seemed unusual to the surrounding rocks. It's about the size of a dinner plate (so it didn't fit in my pocket!)

post-19948-0-81281600-1445756830_thumb.jpg

post-19948-0-89880700-1445756864_thumb.jpg

post-19948-0-42763400-1445756898_thumb.jpg

This is the area I found it

post-19948-0-46935200-1445757135_thumb.jpg

My cousin suggested it's a piece of concrete and I will be really disappointed if that's the case. Please prove him wrong.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum! :)
In my opinion is geological not biological, looks to be concretionary magnesian limestone, so called ‘cannon ball limestone’.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thats cool! Care to share how it forms?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Abyssunder is right, Permian concretionary magnesian limestone, the cliffs are full of it (I'm from Co. Durham myself :) ).

Tarquin

Abyssunder is right, Permian concretionary magnesian limestone, the cliffs are full of it (I'm from Co. Durham myself :) ).

Is this by any chance a case where algal involvement has been suggested but not proven ?

Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you with us, and thx for a glimpse into your world. From Northern Ohio, USA :yay-smiley-1:

"Concretionary magnesian limestone"; this is a new one for me; thank you, Stotticake, for bringing it to the Forum, and thanks all for the answer!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you all for the warm welcome to this site and the information provided. I am new to this and have found it fascinating and I look at the world with new eyes.

I thought the bottom right of the first photo might have been biological, maybe a jellyfish (if they are able to become fossils :) ). I see what I want to see sometimes

post-19948-0-63146800-1445852293.jpg

post-19948-0-27141500-1445852313_thumb.jpg