The mystery of the folded fish (opinions please)

fossilized6s

A few months back a Rhacolepis buccalis from the Santana formation in Brazil was mislabeled on eBay. A fellow member posted the topic here. The seller thought it was a shrimp. Haha! I thought it was a perfect buy, not only to practice my prep skills, but to have a beautiful 3D fish in my collection.

This is how I received it. Ventral side up.

post-14584-0-13650200-1446092783_thumb.jpg

After a bit of prep. (This was the hardest matrix I have ever prepped. It did not come off easy. But, because of it being so hard, the preservation was amazing! I highly recommend anyone to get one of these fish for their collection.)

post-14584-0-23624500-1446092804_thumb.jpg

Then I ran into this. I thought "oh sweet! My fish had been bit in half". That's one heck of a predation mark!

post-14584-0-93095000-1446092819_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-64320400-1446092835_thumb.jpg

Then I removed bulk matrix using a bench grinder.

post-14584-0-33531800-1446092851_thumb.jpg

Then I made a line that would be pleasing to the eye to transform this fish fossil into an art piece. But when I started to prep out more, boom out pops the dorsal side of the fish. What the.....?!

post-14584-0-34522200-1446092873_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-39284400-1446092887_thumb.jpg

So now I don't know where this fish is going to go. The prep was even slower now. Haha, yay....

post-14584-0-86634000-1446092905_thumb.jpg

Continued........

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

A couple months and dozens of hours later, she's done. The details in these fish are just amazing!!! It looks like a smoked fish that could be eaten today. Crazy!!!

This prep was amazingly hard! These fish love to explode if you hit them with your prep tool. And adding the fact of how hard the matrix is AND the weird preservation it really was daunting. If someone asked me to do another one, I would probably say no. Haha

Here's a dollar for a size reference.

post-14584-0-76161200-1446093771_thumb.jpg

I like it.

post-14584-0-56496400-1446093782_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-41618200-1446093793_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-77498300-1446093804_thumb.jpg

I hand sanded the base and waxed it.

post-14584-0-09491900-1446093816_thumb.jpg

BUT, here's why I've asked for TFF's opinions and theories. What caused my fish to fold? Compression during fossilization? Pre fossilization crushing? Predation mark? Has anyone seen something like this?

I would love to hear some theories!

Edited by fossilized6s
  • I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Hi, I am sorry, I do not have any theory I can't stop thinking this fish is a real beauty.

Would have its place in the monthly contest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Your guess is as good as mine, but from here, it looks like something slit it through the middle of the back (before or after death?) and the piece got shoved downwards. Then immediate burial. Caught in a landslide? It would probably help to research the sedimentary history of the site. Nice work, anyway! Looks great!

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

What a fantastic piece. You should definitely enter the competition with this.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Awesome prepjob fossilized6s. I wish I had those skills. :envy:

I hope you can unfold the mystery B)

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Once again Charlie, I'm amazed and dumbfounded by your prep skills. Only a true artist would have thought about taking the time to smooth and polish the exterior. Stunning!

-Ken

"Shrimp" indeed! :P

You've transformed this into a museum piece :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Haha, thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.

I'm not sure I can enter this guy, because I didn't personally find it. Not clear how that works.

~Charlie~

Charlie,

Obviously, you have the prep skills! A compliment from RJB should be enough to make that clear.

As far as the folding, the only other idea I have, is that the matrix got shifted somehow, before the concretion totally formed, and broke the fish.

A complete 3-d prep or x-ray might show if this is correct. Would be interesting to find out.

Awesome job on prepping this piece Charlie! You took a poor looking piece, and turned it into a masterpiece.

Congratulations.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent job on the prep, and also on recognizing a "diamond in the rough".

I suspect some of these fish may have gone through a period where they were washed up on shore or a river bank, where they dried out and effectively mummified before being washed back into the water and buried. There are insects and other terrestrial fauna also preserved in the nodules, indicating that the shore was not far away. So your fish may have dried out and collapsed before being fossilized, which could account for the folding and break in the body wall.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks, RB and Tim!

I would love to prep out the other side, but I just see time, time, time when I look at it. Haha!

~Charlie~

Excellent job on the prep, and also on recognizing a "diamond in the rough".

I suspect some of these fish may have gone through a period where they were washed up on shore or a river bank, where they dried out and effectively mummified before being washed back into the water and buried. There are insects and other terrestrial fauna also preserved in the nodules, indicating that the shore was not far away. So your fish may have dried out and collapsed before being fossilized, which could account for the folding and break in the body wall.

Don

Thanks, Don.

That was also my theory. It does look like it dried out.

~Charlie~

Stunning, Charlie!

I think Don's idea explains a very common modern occurrence similar to your fossil.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you, guys! I appreciate it. It was mostly done with my $7 glass etcher. So if you have enough time and patience, anyone can do this!

I agree with it being dried. The skin has folds and even curls under like a modern dried fish would if it were hollow and the moisture was being sucked out. It just seemed so hard to believe something like that could mineralize, and so well!

~Charlie~

Thank you, gents.

The engraver works nice. The only downside is that the tip is short and fat, so I can't get into tight areas too easily or at all. Haha

Here's another piece I did just using the engraver. (It's not done)

Before

post-14584-0-92388500-1446174534_thumb.jpg

After

post-14584-0-56096400-1446174563_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-64893200-1446174485_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-33174400-1446174495_thumb.jpg

And this little guy was prepped using it.

post-14584-0-44656100-1446174582_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-96795200-1446174600_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-36040300-1446174618_thumb.jpg

Like I said, anyone can do it with some time and patience. You don't need to break the bank for professional tools when you're just starting out. $7, folks. ;)

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

Beautiful job, Charlie! Thanks for sharing your handy work with us!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Beautiful job, Charlie! Thanks for sharing your handy work with us!

Thank you, sir. Good luck today. Watch out for those buck shots!

~Charlie~