First Hunt Finds. What Are They.

GoldFever

Hello. I am new to fossil hunting. Today I went down to the quarry near my house to see what I could find. This is what I got. The only thing is I dont know what this is. Do you? All where found in Kingston, NY Can anyone tell me what the results of my first finds are. The one big rock had many small fossils on it. Penny in pics is for size referance.

post-184-1199834960_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199834967_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199834973_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199834980_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199834985_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199834992_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199834998_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199835004_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199835009_thumb.jpg

post-184-1199835095_thumb.jpg

Gold,

good first time. the first four pics are of brachipods, i couldn't tell you which kind, although some people here may be able to. there are also a few crinoid stems, they are the circles and the rectangles that look like stacked coins.

keep it up[ and you will definately find some really nice stuff. it just takes time.

you should try to find out the age and formation of the quarry where you are digging. that will help us to help you identify your finds

Brock

Welcome to the forum and welcome to fossiling I know you will enjoy both. If you have any questions feel free to ask :D

Welcome to the forum and welcome to fossiling I know you will enjoy both. If you have any questions feel free to ask :D

Thanks for the welcome. I am sure I will have a ton of questions. I would also like to know more about the bigger Brachiopod in the first picture. The one that pokes out instead of in. Can anyone tell me more about it?

Guest solius symbiosus

I'm just getting back into fossils, but the first two are rhychonellids. 7 and 9(cross section) and 10 are crinoid columnals,

I would also like to know more about the bigger Brachiopod in the first picture

They are probably an atrypid of some kind, but I am not that familiar with Devonian Brachiopods. I'm certain that they fall into the Rhynch. class.