Possible worn ankylosaur sacral shield

Goldkaiser

So as topic said its being advertised as possible sacral shield material although well worn here's a few pictures does it all look real and ok?post-18741-0-59755400-1446430044_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-78258800-1446430053_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-70351500-1446430060_thumb.jpegpost-18741-0-86701600-1446430073_thumb.png

Many thanks

GK

'I've collected a lot of Ankylosaur scutes, etc. I'm not seeing anything in this specimen to suggest the label. The shape, texture, etc. is not right. However, it may be that I'm not getting the right perspective from the photos.

Looks more like a fragment of one of the pelvic bones of 'some' beast.

Edited by Ridgehiker

GK

What is the locality of where this item was found

GK

What is the locality of where this item was found

Item is being advertised as found in the Wealden beds of Sussex

Many thanks GK

Edited by Goldkaiser

A lot of the material I've seen from the Wealden Beds is very hard to identify since its very worn and rarely complete, so I understand the question. Looks awfully thick (first picture) even for a sacral shield. I believe that a cross section would be solid unlike the one in the photo which appears to have a cavity. The armor I have in my collection from that locality is thinner but they are not from that position on the body. Also the weathering appears to be lenghtwise and that not consistent with dermal armor. The bottom also looks too flat since any armor would have some curvature and depression. So for those reasons I would lean against this being a sacral shield. Can I ask is this coming from a dealer from that area?

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

A lot of the material I've seen from the Wealden Beds is very hard to identify since its very worn and rarely complete, so I understand the question. Looks awfully thick (first picture) even for a sacral shield. I believe that a cross section would be solid unlike the one in the photo which appears to have a cavity. The armor I have in my collection from that locality is thinner but they are not from that position on the body. Also the weathering appears to be lenghtwise and that not consistent with dermal armor. The bottom also looks too flat since any armor would have some curvature and depression. So for those reasons I would lean against this being a sacral shield. Can I ask is this coming from a dealer from that area?

Hi troodon the seller is on eBay and has a high amount of Wealden material, he from Sussex and has apparently looked at the fossils for 15 years since I'm still learning I want to make sure before purchasing but he does appear to have a lot of material for sale

Many thanks for the info

GK

I just looked at the listing and the seller has changed it to a scapula which makes more sense. Good to ask before you purchase something that you may not be familiar with.

I just looked at the listing and the seller has changed it to a scapula which makes more sense. Good to ask before you purchase something that you may not be familiar with.

I would guess this dealer is grasping at straws. Armour to scapula?

Is it identified as 'dinosaur' or something more specific?

It does look like a partial section of a scapula. I do know the seller very well and he is quite knowledgeable on dinosaurs. So I do trust his ID's. Not sure why the initial listing maybe he just copied an old listing but its corrected.

It does look like a partial section of a scapula. I do know the seller very well and he is quite knowledgeable on dinosaurs. So I do trust his ID's. Not sure why the initial listing maybe he just copied an old listing but its corrected.

Re scapula. Yes, if a piece of large flat bone has integrity on opposite surfaces , it's usually scapula or a piece of pelvis. I'm leery when the actual type of dinosaur is identified. And there isn't anything diagnostic about it.

Just realised I'm an idiot was reading item description last night and that's what made me think it's was armour Ashe describes two other bones I think (it still confuses me as pictures are same as post) so had actually read it wrong this is a case where late night buying should be avoided and stuff read through in the morning apologies for my own blunder.on a of note I have brought from this chap before and it was very nice piece just wanted to check this time, as a studnet I should stop staying up late lol :P

Many thanks again

GK