Ebay Keichousaurus - leap of faith

I posted on this one earlier, and just recieved it, so I thought I’d do a follow up. First let me explain the leap of faith comment. I’ve been looking for one of these at a decent price, and have read all the negative possibilities. So here’s the story on this one. Obviously from China originally, but item location on ebay ad said Israel, but actually shipped from Moscow, Russia! Seller had 0 feedback, and this was the only fossil they had listed. The size was quite a bit smaller than others I’ve seen, but at under $200 delivered I went for it. I must say, I’m pleasantly surprised. I see no indication of paint anywhere under the loupe. All bones are 3D and look right. I can see texture in the larger bones. While not dirt cheap, I think I got a good one. Would love to hear what you guys think. Thanks, JW

post-2182-0-47412100-1446491728_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-89657600-1446491754_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-50750900-1446491783_thumb.jpg

post-2182-0-18698000-1446491805_thumb.jpg

I like that it's an amputee with displaced limb bones. It's great that it looks good under magnification. I'm convinced that "painted-on" features can't withstand such scrutiny. From your description and what I can see in the pictures, I would be pleased to own it.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I wouldn't mind having this one myself :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice one!

Glad your leap of faith was successfull!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have had a couple of them and I like the thin bands of calcite or quartz running through them. Makes feel better seeing a natural feature like that on the piece. I also think you did good!

Mikey

• I found this Informative 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Very nice Keichousaurus. I have one that I bought about 10 years ago. I keep thinking of posting it....

One thing I've wondered as I was looking at mine. Why don't we see plant remains or other remains along with the Keishousaurus?

also, does anyone have links to scientific papers or information on these particular deposits?

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Sometimes I ask a question without realizing the answer is only a couple clicks away. Here's a recent paper on the location where the Keichousaurus are found.

"Drowning of the Triassic Yangtze Platform, South China, By Tectonic Subsidence Into Toxic Deep Waters of An Anoxic Basin"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276467188_Drowning_of_the_Triassic_Yangtze_Platform_South_China_By_Tectonic_Subsidence_Into_Toxic_Deep_Waters_of_An_Anoxic_Basin

Here's "Functional morphology and ontogeny of Keichousaurus hui"

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/5174#/summary

The simple answer to my first question is "duh, they are marine reptiles" and also they suddenly got stuck in anoxic conditions. Before this moment, I wrongly thought of them as being in shallow muddy water.

Edited by Stocksdale

It may have been a leap of faith, but you stuck the landing! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys! This catagory on the forum definitely gave me some good insights on what to look for. (and look out for!)

Yes, the calcite veins give suggest it is real to me, esp the one that runs through the lower jaw.

Chinese fossil forgers have learned a lot, they know that calcite veins suggest to collectors the fossil being real. Now they add "real calcite veins" made out of glue and white pigment as a proof.

It's still an indication, but better don't rely too much on these veins. Not every vein is real calcite.

JW, this Keichousaur is definitely a genuine one and very nice too - congrats! You won't find so many like this anymore.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Chinese fossil forgers have learned a lot, they know that calcite veins suggest to collectors the fossil being real. Now they add "real calcite veins" made out of glue and white pigment as a proof.

It's still an indication, but better don't rely too much on these veins. Not every vein is real calcite.

JW, this Keichousaur is definitely a genuine one and very nice too - congrats! You won't find so many like this anymore.

Thomas

Not surprising... another reason I stick to persoanally collected fossils.

As I posted earlier I like the piece shown above partially because of the defects. I do believe that variance from the "standard" posture is a plus on the side of authenticity. The piece above appears to be missing an entire manus and the adjacent limb bones are displaced. I think that adds mightily to the circumstantial evidence of a genuine fossil.

Here is an image of the only Keichousaurus I own. As you can see, its configuration (along with some other poking) bolsters my confidence in the fact it is a natural specimen.

post-8873-0-10223600-1446524779_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The one in the OP is quite a bit smaller than typical with smaller forearms. Is that the nature of a juvenile form?

Older publication by Kebang Lin, but quite comprehensive: Functional morphology and phylogeny of Keichousaurus hui (Sauropterygia, Reptilia)

http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1446549029535~788&locale=de_DE&show_metadata=false&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/singleViewer.do?&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=6&adjacency=N&application=DIGITOOL-3&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Hi,

Your link doesn't work... :(

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Id say for under 200 bucks you did great! This reminds me that I bought several of these unprepped years ago. I wonder where they are? Hmmmmm.

RB

Hi,

I can't record it...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg