Fossil Collecting Sites on East Coast of Florida

LaunchPhotog

Hello

I am a bit new to fossil collecting, but I am going to Florida in a few days, but I will only be limited to the East Coast.

So far, I've collected near my home at Big Brook creek in NJ, but I was wondering the best spots for collecting on the East coast of Florida near the Vero Beach area. My family doesn't want to drive all the way to the West Coast for Venice, so if anyone has any tips on the east coast it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advanced!

Alex

"Florida's east coast" covers a lot of ground; where will you be, and how far can you go?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good luck, hopefully some members on that coast can give you a couple pointers :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Auspex, anywhere around the general Vero Beach vicinity is perfect. 30 minutes to an hour is pretty good.​

Unfortunately, your options are pretty limited on the East Coast. Your only option in that area is to do some beach combing and find some shells and/or some shark teeth. Its going to be recent stuff and not fossil, however. If you have the option of traveling a little bit, there is a beach that was renourished a while back and you can find some stuff in West Palm. It would be a little over an hour South of where you are going to be. If your interested I can give you more precise directions. The only other place within reason would be to go to the Peace River, which is about two hours away. One thing you might want to check out is the Dinosaur Store in Cocoa Beach, which is about an hour North. Its not hunting, but they have a ton of awesome fossils for sale. Hope this helps.

If you would like to maximize your experience, contact Fred Mazza,at Paleo Discoveries.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!