My Jurassic Park - Europe

Troodon

That partial Baryonychid jaw made my human jaw drop a few feet! WOW indeed!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 4/13/2018 at 11:51 AM, Troodon said:

A couple of new additions

Iggyjaw1A.thumb.jpg.37535be50fdd63d3522b2eb09666c274.jpg

BarJaw1.thumb.jpg.5666a495cd6ca1018f916f397754322b.jpg

Beautiful specimens!

Wow, you don't see these kind of specimens come up for sale anywhere. Must have some good connections in the UK! :)

Is that a cross-section of another tooth in the centre of the Baryonychine jaw between the other teeth?

20 minutes ago, Laditz said:

Wow, you don't see these kind of specimens come up for sale anywhere. Must have some good connections in the UK! :)

Is that a cross-section of another tooth in the centre of the Baryonychine jaw between the other teeth?

Yes, there are three visible teeth in that jaw and one broken at the gum line like you said.   I need to do some prep on it to clean the matrix around the teeth.  Very lucky to obtain them....

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yes, there are three visible teeth in that jaw and one broken at the gum line like you said.   I need to do some prep on it to clean the matrix around the teeth.  

Nice, can't wait to see how it will look cleaned up!

On 13/04/2018 at 6:51 PM, Troodon said:

A couple of new additions

Iggyjaw1A.thumb.jpg.37535be50fdd63d3522b2eb09666c274.jpg

BarJaw1.thumb.jpg.5666a495cd6ca1018f916f397754322b.jpg

Are they definitely Baryonychine?

I was told by the seller it was potentially Eotyrannus but you’re lucky enough to see it first hand in person!

incredible fossil nonetheless I’m very jealous :)

6 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

I was told by the seller it was potentially Eotyrannus but you’re lucky enough to see it first hand in person!

Never seen an Eotyrannus tooth so cannot comment.   You can see the vertical ridges on the crown typical of a Bary..and its more oval in cross-section than compressed.  So I think its one but again not a lot of comparative material around why I named it to the level I did.  I do have a lot of erasers handy  ..

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Never seen an Eotyrannus tooth so cannot comment.   You can see the vertical ridges on the crown typical of a Bary..and its more oval in cross-section than compressed.  So I think its one but again not a lot of comparative material around why I named it to the level I did.  I do have a lot of erasers handy  ..

The uncertainty around the definitive species doesn’t take away how impressive it is. You’re probably one of a handful to personally own such a fossil! 

Congratulations on being the lucky collector to have obtained it

28 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

One easy test to see if Eotyrannus is a candidate is if there are any serrations. The teeth have an odd shape for a Baryonychine but I think this is a good assumption so far.

31 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

One easy test to see if Eotyrannus is a candidate is if there are any serrations. The teeth have an odd shape for a Baryonychine but I think this is a good assumption so far.

Obvious good point, and they have no serrations

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Obvious good point, and they have no serrations

I stand corrected! 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎.‎11‎.‎2015 at 8:00 PM, Troodon said:

Germany

Germany is represented in my collection by two isolated theropod teeth one Triassic Ceratosaurid and the other a Jurassic Dilophosaurid.

post-10935-0-24220200-1446749731_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-79128300-1446749875_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-98359300-1446749725_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-99984500-1446749728_thumb.jpg

WOW - that's fascinating !! Really a treasure !!

Dilophosaurid: never heard about finds of that species in germany. Could you give more info, pls. ? Would be VERY interesting !

Halticosaurus (renamed afak, now Liliensternus liliensterni): rare specimens (i think 2 more or less incomplete skeletons were found and some tooth) comes from official excavations in 1930's. Never heard about new finds since this time. Could you give more info, pls. ? Would be VERY interesting !

19 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

WOW - that's fascinating !! Really a treasure !!

Dilophosaurid: never heard about finds of that species in germany. Could you give more info, pls. ? Would be VERY interesting !

Halticosaurus (renamed afak, now Liliensternus liliensterni): rare specimens (i think 2 more or less incomplete skeletons were found and some tooth) comes from official excavations in 1930's. Never heard about new finds since this time. Could you give more info, pls. ? Would be VERY interesting !

Thank you.  Unfortunately I cannot add much to what you see.  Picked them up a very long time ago from an old collection in europe.

The thing is that if the teeth are named properly and were found in the area and member mentioned in the thread, they are from scientific interest.

As already written, i do not know about any Dilophosauridae found in Germany ever (known are some Sauropodes and Theropodes, Stegocephalia..).

And Liliensternus is only known from the HUENE excavation in 1932/33. Only two partial skeletons are known from this excavation until today.

So material from both species are extremely rare and every find would be of scientific interest.

Would be interesting from which collection to get more infos...

• I found this Informative 3

A few items I picked up at the show or just before it

From the UK a lovely Hypsilophodon skull - pretty small dino, not sure if this is adult size or not

HypsilSkull.thumb.jpg.99aae93809069d622a7430ca352c671e.jpg

A huge and beautiful Sauropod tooth from France

Turiasuruia1.thumb.jpg.76cbb5996e0df6470948c6e3e4e4f4d5.jpg

A huge Torvosaurus tooth from Portugal

Torvo3.thumb.jpg.c8c807342d15fd7a8e3abfa9c09c3b4f.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

From the UK a lovely Hypsilophodon skull - pretty small dino, not sure if this is adult size or not

HypsilSkull.thumb.jpg.99aae93809069d622a7430ca352c671e.jpg

Turiasuruia1.thumb.jpg.76cbb5996e0df6470948c6e3e4e4f4d5.jpg

Torvo3.thumb.jpg.c8c807342d15fd7a8e3abfa9c09c3b4f.jpg

Super nice fossils Troodon!

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

38 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Cool pickups! I hope you are well and welcome back

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

44 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Hypsilophodon skull - pretty small dino,

Wow that is pretty nice. Great to see you back Frank. All the best Bobby 

12 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow that is pretty nice. Great to see you back Frank. All the best Bobby 

12 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Cool pickups! I hope you are well and welcome back

Thanks guys nice to be active again

Very nice acquisitions Frank! 

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

This paper might be useful for determining whether it's an adult or juvenile: Ornithopod dinosaur notes - look especially at the first part of the paper (pages 216 to 223)

Welcome back, by the way! It's good to have you back :) 

-Christian

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

21 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice acquisitions Frank! 

This paper might be useful for determining whether it's an adult or juvenile: Ornithopod dinosaur notes - look especially at the first part of the paper (pages 216 to 223)

Welcome back, by the way! It's good to have you back :) 

-Christian

Thanks, perfect paper