Dinosaur tooth ?

Tanit

It looks bone to me. But I don't see a tooth. Location and age would also help with identification.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is definitely not a tooth. There are some features that kind of look like bone but they could also be artifacts of the photo.

I think you have a suggestively shaped rock.

Not a tooth however, it does look like terrestrial bone to me. Unsure of species.

Edit - it could be definitely be a suggestively shaped rock as stated above but i'm intrigued.

Edited by frankh8147

This is not:

- artifacts,

- bone fragment

- shaped rock

The one side is covered with tooth enamel (very smooth), it is visible in the photo.

post-20048-0-67796600-1447182793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tanit

I still cannot see enamel but your image is not sharp when you blow it up. The overall shape is also not that of a dinosaur tooth

I still cannot see enamel but your image is not sharp when you blow it up. The overall shape is also not that of a dinosaur tooth

If this is not a tooth that is perhaps a horn

Not a horn, either. Just a smooth odd shaped rock.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nature forms things into suggestive shapes, and our minds turn them into something familiar.

What they "look like" is not necessarily what they are, and critically considering all the details, and not just stopping at the first impression, is important.

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not a horn, either. Just a smooth odd shaped rock.

Regards,

Apart from horn and teeth I do not see any other part of the body can be covered with enamel.

This is not just a smooth odd shaped rock. This is a fossil without a doubt.

Nature forms things into suggestive shapes, and our minds turn them into something familiar.

What they "look like" is not necessarily what they are, and critically considering all the details, and not just stopping at the first impression, is important.

I agree with you. Maybe the pictures are not good . I will do tomorrow pictures in daylight for you to judge better.

Allo tanit-

This might be a smoothened piece of rock or fossilized bone, but it is not a tooth. The texture I see looks a little bit like bone. Does it show on all sides? Enamel is smooth and shiny and has a definite thickness. If you would please tell us why you think it is definitely a fossil, we would like to hear it. Because many of us think it is likely not...and keep in mind that these people (moi meme inclu) have been looking at fossils for decades.

I still believe this could be a possible bone fragment and it's a great piece to put on this forum for ID. That said, it can't be a tooth; the material just isn't right; it's not a tooth. That said, bone fragment is very interesting so I'm still interested to see the ID on this piece.

In your first new picture I think I can see why you think you see enamel but I still don't think any is present.

To me the smoother surface is the external surface of the original bone and the remaining surfaces are the worn internal element of the bone.

Compare your fragment to any modern bone piece and the different textures of a internal cross sections and external surfaces. this should become fairly evident, this with mineralisation filling a lot of the pores and the internal voids making this are become more robust and abrade less.

Mike

I agree with the above. I think it is bone and what you call enamel is just the outer layer. It can feel like enamel and even be very smooth, but the fact that you can see where it is broken really shows that it isn't enamel as there is a thickness to enamel. And one thing I think I have learned is that there isn't enough of it left to tell what it may have come from. It has that look like it could have some vertebral properties, but could also just be broken into that shape.

You come to the forum for opinions and sometimes you get just that, but usually the general consensus reigns supreme.