Fossil Monster Skull ID !

Hi Tanit.

I am just wondering under what circumstances you bought these items. Your original post seems to suggest that you thought they were real. Please tell us what you think about them, and what the intention of the original post was.

Thanks.

When I bought the skulls sellers say that these are dinosaur skulls . I did not believe them, of course, because they are weird . But I found them fun, interesting and cheap. As I am not an expert , I presented these skulls on this forum for the views of experts and to share with those who are interested in.

Thank you for showing us these fabricated "skulls"; they are fun, and interesting in their way. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

fun and funny

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Pretty interesting works of art, if they were carved by hand, that must have been at Least a couple hours of craftsmanship to get the teeth like that. I like it :)

Most of us here think this is funny and interesting but we are wrong. The museum at Herkimer labels their specimen as a real dinosaur skull and paid a lot of money for it. Most people that see this fake skull think its real and it's the centerpiece of the collection. Tanit states that he bought them because "I found them fun, interesting and cheap". How did you get a deal and this other person not? Any fake fossil being sold on the open market as real should be destroyed!!!! Once it leaves your hands it may end up in the hands of the uneducated, unscrupulous, and taint the market giving us honest dealers a bad name.

• I found this Informative 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Most of us here think this is funny and interesting but we are wrong. The museum at Herkimer labels their specimen as a real dinosaur skull and paid a lot of money for it. Most people that see this fake skull think its real and it's the centerpiece of the collection. Tanit states that he bought them because "I found them fun, interesting and cheap". How did you get a deal and this other person not? Any fake fossil being sold on the open market as real should be destroyed!!!! Once it leaves your hands it may end up in the hands of the uneducated, unscrupulous, and taint the market giving us honest dealers a bad name.

if someone who claims to be a professional mistakes a replica like this as a real skull, they deserve any ridicule that follows. what is demonstrated here is simply artwork, it would be likened to someone mistaking a work of Picasso as a professional photograph.

What a ridiculous statement amphipod! Do you honestly think that every member of this forum is an "expert" and that every person who purchases a fossil is also an "expert"? The person who sold these skulls did not refer to them as artwork. They called and sold them as authentic dinosaur skulls from Madagascar. This thread belongs under - is it real how to recognize fossil fabrications. The members of this forum, (the responsible and respectable) have a duty to share our knowledge and experience to the new and uninitiated in this hobby/pastime called fossil collecting.

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I agree Mikeymig. No one deserves to be deceived, regardless of their level of expertise. It remains the responsibility of the seller to be honest and ethical. Many purchases by amateurs are simply made in good faith. There is no excuse for dishonesty.

...The museum at Herkimer labels their specimen as a real dinosaur skull and paid a lot of money for it...

What did they pay, to whom, and what exactly were they told?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm sceptical to believe that that could be a dinosaur skull, but just want to cite from the presentation under the link provided http://goingplacesfarandnear.com/diamond-mining-robotics-erie-canal-cruises-top-list-of-special-experiences-at-herkimer-koa-camping-resort/
"Another key attraction is Randy, a dinosaur skull from Madagascar (most likely a triceratops), found two years ago. Jordan points out that inside his mouth is another dinosaur bone, suggesting that the dinosaur died choking on its meal." post-17588-0-22386100-1447612395_thumb.jpg

The skull of a triceratops, Randy, excavated in Madagascar, is on view in the Herkimer Diamond Mines museum © 2015 Karen Rubin/news-photos-features.com

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Auspex, I talked to an employee at Herkimer about the skull not the owner. I felt bad and a little embarrassed for them. The employee was very proud that they had a "real" dinosaur skull. I asked where and who they got it from and she didn't know. She did tell me that they paid a lot of money for it.

led zeppelin

A partial newspaper account from their Facebook page.

post-7129-0-52789100-1447621049_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

Well, that really is embarrassing... :blush:

Will they not listen to reason, and quit promoting it as real?

Wow, this discussion got pretty depressing pretty quick. I'm not an expert by any means, but I guess I've just been lucky enough to see enough real dinosaur skulls (casts) to know those are insultingly fake. I can't believe there's actually people out there who don't know...

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention the fact that they claim it to be a triceratops skull. I mean come on....triceratops didn't even have sharp teeth like that...

Edited by TNCollector

The newspaper story Mikey showed us says they are calling it one of only three Majungatholus skulls in the world. Ouch. I am preparing to send them an email.... I promise to be nice.

I just sent them an email.

Edited by jpc

I'm sure that they have to explain the difference between real diamonds and 'Herkimer Diamonds' all the time. :) To not draw that distinction would undermine their credibility. One would hope they are understanding of this identification error so as not to cast doubt on areas of their expertise.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The owner of the museum in the Facebook article also mentioned that the skull was worth at least $100000. I sure hope they didn't pay even a thousandth of that cost, because they are going to be quite upset about it.

As a show piece, instead of getting rid of it, I suppose they could make a display section of "Fossils: Real and Fake" or something like that. It would be a shame to throw all the money they spent on it in the dump.

Edited by TNCollector