Some Pics Of Some Of The Fossils My Kids Found

RJB

I really didnt feel like working today, so when I got back home from town I decided to play with my new fossils that my kids brought me. I started gluing up some crab concs that I had 'WACKED' open and also brought out my tile saw to cut some parts out of one piece of rock and save me about 6 hours of removing rock with my airscribe! I also have some little beauties that I will not 'wack' open, but simply begin to airscribe them if I ever get the time? I put a tennis ball in for scale. This very nice pectin im told is complete, but apon inspection I could see that the left 'lobe' of this pectin has a slight problem, but I will know for sure once I clean it up a bit. Its very muddy. They also brought me some gastropods. Two little naticids in the same rock and a much larger moonie that is either a junoir Polonices or a HUGE naticid!!! Either way its a very cool snail!!! I will find out when I scribe out the umbilicus area. In the last picture you can see how I knocked of some rock and then cut the bottom so it can sit nicely on someones fossil shelf.

I dont know when, but I will try to get some pics of some of the crabs that im gluing up later?

RB

Here is a pic of two crab concretions. The one on the left broke right over the top of the carapace, which is what I always want and hardly ever get!!! And the one on the right broke into 3 pieces. I glued two of the pieces back together and then cut out a small piece of rock on the 3rd piece that had a tiny bit of leg in it and a small bit of the claw hand and then glued that onto the rock. Saves a ton of time this way!!!! The only bad thing is that I lost a claw finger!!! Just sucks!!!!

RB

I wish my kid would bring me stuff like that home. All mine ever drags home are stray animals <_< . I love seeing what the nodules look like in the rough and reading about the process you go through to extricate the fossils. Thanks for sharing! :)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Can't wait to see the clean crabs once your done. :drool:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I cant wait to see my crabs done too, but they are gunna havta wait. Right now im in the middle of gutting out our house!! Uuuuugh, what a horrible job!!! But when looking for a mini sledge, I went to the garage and looked in one of the back packs that I loaned to my eldest son and found two more crab concretions!! I didnt have time to look in the other pack, but maybe today I will find something more they didnt show me? If Ive got the strength that is. Im one of those peoples who gets up purty early in the mornin and by 2 oclock im running out of poop, but keep pushing until at least 4 oclock. After dinner my eye lids feel like they are made of lead!!! Ha!!!

RB

Guest bmorefossil

yea would love to see the crabs, i like that shell there, is there any chance of a crab being inside it?

With a little bit of water, tooth brush and some pick work with my sharpened chainsaw file, its coming out purty dang good! I still have to find the time to finish it, but once I do, it will only take about 20 minutes. This one is better than most from Scotia. It even has a nice little Naticid on the side, but you cant hardly see it in this photo? I absolutly love these pectins in rock!!!!!!!!!!

RB

Guest Nicholas
With a little bit of water, tooth brush and some pick work with my sharpened chainsaw file, its coming out purty dang good! I still have to find the time to finish it, but once I do, it will only take about 20 minutes. This one is better than most from Scotia. It even has a nice little Naticid on the side, but you cant hardly see it in this photo? I absolutly love these pectins in rock!!!!!!!!!!

RB

Wonderful peace to display!

Thanks guys. If it didnt have two little problems I would think about keeping it, but this one is going up for sale. The shell material is not replaced, but still purty dang hard bmore.

RB

My youngest son 'popped' this conc open just yesterday. It was one of the ones left in the back pack. Its a very 'soft' concretion with very soft and white colored shell material except for the one dark area that is very very hard adn the part of the crab going through that area is that dark brown color and preserved better. This crab is showing the ventral side, but no prob there, all i have to do now is mark the concretion, glue it back together and then start the prep attack on the dorsal side. The sad thing is that it looks to have nicely spaced legs, but this crab more than likely will not come out to good? My fingers are crossed for this one!

RB

post-171-1239978399_thumb.jpg