My Son And I Are Looking For Sites In Nj And Pa

cracken

Hello everyone!

Semi-Newbie here, armed with an 11yr old!!!

Collecting at "the Cafe" in Deer Park was allot of fun and the owner of the lot was great, but the rocks were being very stubborn that day as coercing a large chunk of anything was very difficult as it was very, VERY crumbly.

Would anyone be so kind as to share/recommend a spot that is in PA or NJ? I/we would love to try to find a Trilo, Starfish or leaves in rock that would not be terribly difficult to collect in. Deer Park was 1.5 hours away from me so that is not too bad at all.

Thank you very much for your help in advance... seems like every place i find lately has been closed off, I really missed out on the St. Clair and the Swatara Gap areas.... PLEASE HELP! :)

Hello everyone!

Semi-Newbie here, armed with an 11yr old!!!

Collecting at "the Cafe" in Deer Park was allot of fun and the owner of the lot was great, but the rocks were being very stubborn that day as coercing a large chunk of anything was very difficult as it was very, VERY crumbly.

Would anyone be so kind as to share/recommend a spot that is in PA or NJ? I/we would love to try to find a Trilo, Starfish or leaves in rock that would not be terribly difficult to collect in. Deer Park was 1.5 hours away from me so that is not too bad at all.

Thank you very much for your help in advance... seems like every place i find lately has been closed off, I really missed out on the St. Clair and the Swatara Gap areas.... PLEASE HELP! :)

Why don't you do carbondale plant fossils?

This might be a little far from you depending on where you live.

Where do you live now? That would help narrow down a list of places to look for fossils.

Plenty of old mine dumps in Schuylkill, Carbon and Lackawana Counties to find ferns in. Just be aware of ownership before you go in.

And Welcome to the Forum from Philadelphia!

gallery_1408_424_705.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thank you everyone and happy to be here!!!

I am located in Randolph, NJ... Deer Park is about 1.5 hours from this point, so anything that is within that vicinity would be great for us!!! Shuylkill I believe is directly by Deer Park, could someone give directions to those sites? I do like the ferns allot and I would definetly visit a fern site, but I/we are also interested in Trilobites as well.... :)